Help!!!! Bad water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good kit is worth it in the long run. If your setting up a reef tank your going to need a test kit for that tank as well. I would suggest that you invest in the API kit if you want success in the hobby. You can order them online fairly cheaper than you can get them in the store. I would try amazon.com or the drfostersmith.com website. If you spend more than 40 bucks on the drfostersmith website you get free shipping.

I used tetra easy strips... I know that there strips and not as reliable but I'm setting up a reef tank and I can't afford an API. I wanted to run carbon because my water has a yellow tint to it and there are gazzilions of little particles in the water.

If you can't afford or don't want an API kit, then there's really no point in setting up a reef tank. It'll crash and you'll lose a lot of money (emphasis on a lot - saltwater is much, much more expensive than freshwater)

There is an old saying...

"If you cant afford to do it right the first time, when will you be able to afford to do it all over?"

If the water is wrong, and you loose all the money you put in the tanks because you couldn't test it and see whats happening, THEN can you afford a good kit?

ashleynicole said:
A good kit is worth it in the long run. If your setting up a reef tank your going to need a test kit for that tank as well. I would suggest that you invest in the API kit if you want success in the hobby. You can order them online fairly cheaper than you can get them in the store. I would try amazon.com or the drfostersmith.com website. If you spend more than 40 bucks on the drfostersmith website you get free shipping.

I realize that, what I was saying is I'm saving for a reef so I can't go out and get a 30$ test kit for my freshwater tank right now but I WILL be getting the API reef master test kit.

Just to clarify
I WILL spend money on a nice test kit for my reef tank
But I CAN'T spend much money right on a nice test kit for my freshwater right now because im setting up that reef.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the API master kit cover both salt and fresh?

LyndaB said:
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the API master kit cover both salt and fresh?

There is a reef, saltwater, and freshwater. As soon as I set up my reef tank I'll use the reef test kit to test in my freshwater as well.

If you're going to use one kit for both tanks, I don't get why you're going to wait to make the purchase. Then again, I have a cold, my head is full of stuff I'd rather not mention and I might not be the sharpest tack in the box today. :whistle:

LyndaB said:
If you're going to use one kit for both tanks, I don't get why you're going to wait to make the purchase. Then again, I have a cold, my head is full of stuff I'd rather not mention and I might not be the sharpest tack in the box today. :whistle:

That's true you have a point. I might as well get it over with...

Once you get to know me better, you'll realize that I always have a point..... :D

Your fish will adore you if you get the kit now. That has to mean something! ;)

LyndaB said:
Once you get to know me better, you'll realize that I always have a point..... :D

Your fish will adore you if you get the kit now. That has to mean something! ;)

Haha thanks! :D

Your will be happy once you have it. I enjoy the chemistry so much sometimes i check my parameters twice a day... No I am not ocd... Lol.

ashleynicole said:
Your will be happy once you have it. I enjoy the chemestry so much sometimes i check my parameters twice a day... No I am not ocd... Lol.

Haha! I LOVE chemistry... That's part of why I got into the hobby:)

Back
Top Bottom