Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help bad whitespot

My goldfish have a bad case of white spot esp my large Black Moor. I think this has happened because of a new addition to the tank. Luckily I have whitespot no 6 to hand the problem is I dosed the tank without knowing exactly what the media I have in my new canister external filter im fairly new to goldfish keeping only been a year the external filter I have had for a bout 3 months I haven't change the media at all. The thing is the water didn't go greenish as it has done before when I used anit whitespot. I have one black thin sponge in the filter and the rest are blue. I DONT know what the blue ones contain it says nothing on the filter. The thing is when I have used anti white spot in the past I notice within a day all the whitspots disappeared yet this time it hasn't happened and my large black moor is covered in spots. I decided to remove 75% of the water and redoes but still no different. I have removed the black sponge just incase it still has carbon in it. DO I NEED to remove the blue sponges to they contain anything which will remove medication from the tank. I removed the carbon sponge after I did the second dose should I remove 75% again and redose again. (obviously I am scared of overdosing them. Or should I leave it as the second dose is due in four days and leave the external filter off. I don't want to redose if the blue sponges take the medication out of the water. Any advice greatly appericated. Also I have had the anti whitespot for nearly a year should I use a new one. although it says goes out of date in 2016

Old 10-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Urgent please help the large black moor kepts resting on the bottom of the tank. I dont want to lose him.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I took action changed 75% of the water again and redosed. THIS time with no black carbon sponge in the filter. The water went more green like it did when I first used the medication about 10 months ago. I have have put the external filter back on minus black sponge and my black moor does seem to be acting normally now he did lay upright and sit on the bottom of the tank as if he was resting several times but at mo he is ok. Did eat so that's a good sign. I will now dose in four days time as im meant too and hopefully the white spot will clear up. My black Moor has recently spawn his first egg lay ie he is the daddy maybe the stress of that and a new addition in the tank brought on the ick as I know ick lives in the tank and comes out when the fish are stressed. Ive only had ick once when I first got the goldfish. I am upgrading to a 300L in the very near future. I know im slightly overstocked with four fancy goldfish in a 45 gallon tank. But the new addition is a baby and apart from my large black moor the other 2 are still under a year. I have upped my waterchanges so I do a 25% mid week with a 50% at the weekend. I have an external canister filter which does 620lphr and I have a ehiem 2012 pickup internal filter to bump it up. So lots of filteration

stats
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
PH 7.5
Old 10-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I medicate, I remove all the filter media and just use the filter for the water flow. Sounds like things are getting better. Maybe it was the new addition. Be careful with overstocking -'as you pointed out - because goldfish produce a lot of waste.

You can up the temp if you do have ick and add aquarium salt if you would rather do that than medicate. Just make sure the oxygen is enough as turning heat up affects the oxygen.

Google how to do this to make,sure you get the specific directions.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your parameters are in check and that's a good start. The only thing I didn't notice is temp. As for media, you only need to remove the carbon as it will pull any of the meds out of the water. All meds should give fairly accurate instructions on whether it will affect the biomedia.

How long have these been together and when was the last one introduced ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi the last fish was introduced about a week and a half ago. The large black moor was swimming this morning but he does keep resting upright on the bottom of the tank. Some of the whitespots have disappeared on him and the other black moor is swimming around normally. My large black moor did seem to have a lot more white spots than any of the other fish. Every one else is acting normal exspect the large black moor. I am worried about him but he did eat this morning as normal and was swimming about when I came in to the room only now is he resting on the bottom. I think I will do a 50% waterchange before the second dose of anti whitespot on the fourth day Tuesday. The temperature in the room is about 23C.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The reason I will do a 50% waterchange is to ensure I don't overdose. Cause I have done the first days treatment dose of anti white spot twice, once before I removed the carbon and I did about a 75% waterchange once I removed the carbon and slightly underdosed the treatment to allow for there being some medication already in the 25% water left in the tank.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have used anti white spot no6 interpret before and none of my fish behaved in the way my large black moor is resting upright on the bottom of the tank as if he is resting. I was worried I had overdosed the fish with the anti white spot and this is why he was acting this way. But should I assume if I had overdosed all the fish would be behaving like this?! The other 3 seem fine and acting perfectly normal.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
Your parameters are in check and that's a good start. The only thing I didn't notice is temp. As for media, you only need to remove the carbon as it will pull any of the meds out of the water. All meds should give fairly accurate instructions on whether it will affect the biomedia.

How long have these been together and when was the last one introduced ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
My baby black moor and baby Calico fantail have been together for almost a year next month and the larger Moor was introduced a good 4-5 months ago. The new baby gold fantail was introduced about a week and a half ago. She was introduced at the same time my large black moor and female calico fantail had there first batch of eggs. I assume although I have only had the female calico fantail a year that she must have been a bit older when I got her for her to be mature enough to have laid eggs for the first time.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update guys. My Large black moor is still occasionally resting on the bottom of the tank. But he is eating well had some peas to day aswell as his usual pellet. The small black moor's white spot have gone. The large one still has lots of tiny white dots but a few have gone. I have raised the temperature in the room as I don't have a tank heater. I have also added a powerhead I had spare to add more aeration ive angled it so it is creating quite a forceful breakage to the surface. So I have two filters breaking the surface and the powerhead. I read that the fish have trouble breathing if whitespot is on the gills, which the large moor has might be why he is breathing slowly and having to rest on the floor. I will do the second dose of anti white spot on Tuesday then on thurs Il will go out and buy somemore and do a second treatment to hopefully get rid of all the parasite. I have a feeling that my little black moor and the two other fish have build up an immunity as they seem absolutely fine with the whitespot and responding well to treatment. This is the first time my large black moor has had ich whilst in my care. I adopted him from a friend of a friend. I think the new baby fantail brought the ich in. I need to buy a quarantine tank. Lesson learnt!!!!! The Large Black moor seems more active now. Fingers crossed guys. He is rubbing up against the sides of the tank so I see he is irritated by the whitespot. Should I do a water change before I add the second dose on Tuesday it doesn't say to do a waterchange before 2nd dose on the medication box ?

Tags
spot, white, whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com