Help! Betta fish sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobwt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to order a first aid kit tonight what do I need to treat this? Is it just velvet or dropsy aswell? :/

Thank you for any help regarding this matter!

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 81
Aquarium salt, heat, and no lights. Test the water before adding anything. Clean it, water changes if needed and try to keep stress down.

Aquarium salt or Epsom salt? I've raised he temp to 28C should it be higher?

You can raise it more. I'd do about 30C. That should put you to 86F. You can go alittle higher 88F.

Thank you so much, I will start treatment when I get in from work, I did a 100% change on his 10L tank last night, I'm going to remove the live plants before I add the salt.

1 tsp per gallon. You gotta dissolve it in a bowl (tank water) and add to tank slow, and same temp. You can up the dose to another 1/2 tsp if it gets really bad. Should clear up in a few days. Maybe even over night. Water change 50% in 3 days. Then do another dose for 3more days. And when treatment is done 2-50% water changes. Salt don't filter out. Good luck!

Awesome I can't wait to try and save him! He's so beautiful, thank you for your quick response and helpful advice!

Don't worry, your not gonna try. You will save him. All it takes is alittle love. Keep the water free of ammonia, and feed him some good stuff. Dry blood worms are a all time fav. And if you feed pellets, soak them in garlic juice(the juice of minced garlic works) he will love it. It helps build the immune system to fight off sickness. [emoji6] you'll do fine.

Medication has started

Started medication at half past 7! Slowly dripping my treated water back into Bei Long's tank. Hopefully he will be a happy fish tomorrow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 49
Lol! I didn't mean... that slow. No, you can just dump it in quarter at a time. Try not to dump it on him too much. Lol, your silly. Just make sure it's the same temp as the tank water.

Jacob
If your Betta is truely suffering from Velvet / Oodinium, you will notice a faint yellow dusting of the tiny parasite all over the body. Velvet is a fast acting parasite and kills much quicker than Ick. The high temp. WC, Black out method of treatment might work but probably won't.
IMO velvet specific meds are the best option.
Angel provided you with very thoughtful advice that works primarily towards the treatment of Ick and possibly might work in the very early stages of Velvet.
Judging from the pics, I'm not sure Velvet is the problem.
Good luck.

Do you have any idea what it might be V227? I'm ordering myself some bits to make up a betta first aid kit so I'll get some of that as well.

I don't know what the symptoms were before the pics. How long has the Betta been sick? Is he still eating?
Velvet / Oodinium can wipe out an entire tank within a week. I take it your Betta has been sick several days, so unless it's covered with a fine yellow dusting of Oodinium, probably not that.
From the pics, it appears that the Bettas scales are pineconing, possibly Dropsy.
Dropsy is a symptom of an intestinal infection of some sort. By the time Dropsy is observed, the damage is usually done. Survival is doubtful. The best course of action is keep the water very clean, slowly stabilize the temp. To normal levels, 78 degrees, and keep watch. If things get much worse, best to euthanize the Betta.
The best first aid kit for any fish is regular tank maintenance and WC's. Even the most advanced hobbiest has a disease outbreak occassionally, so don't let this get you down. If you want to stock up on meds for future use, Rid Ick has been endorsed by many on this site, for Velvet, I've used Coppersafe.

I don't know what the symptoms were before the pics. How long has the Betta been sick? Is he still eating?
Velvet / Oodinium can wipe out an entire tank within a week. I take it your Betta has been sick several days, so unless it's covered with a fine yellow dusting of Oodinium, probably not that.
From the pics, it appears that the Bettas scales are pineconing, possibly Dropsy.
Dropsy is a symptom of an intestinal infection of some sort. By the time Dropsy is observed, the damage is usually done. Survival is doubtful. The best course of action is keep the water very clean, slowly stabilize the temp. To normal levels, 78 degrees, and keep watch. If things get much worse, best to euthanize the Betta.
The best first aid kit for any fish is regular tank maintenance and WC's. Even the most advanced hobbiest has a disease outbreak occassionally, so don't let this get you down. If you want to stock up on meds for future use, Rid Ick has been endorsed by many on this site, for Velvet, I've used Coppersafe.
Zoom in on the second pic

I'm pretty sure it's not dropsy. There is no pinecone scales that I see. I highly recommend salt specially for Betta's. Alot of meds are too strong, or just don't work. Salt works on alot of different diseases. I will explain salt. Stress causes alot of illness in fish, which results to infection in the gills, just like us with a cold and our nose, throat, lungs hurt making it hard to breath. When I get sick or my kids. I us Vick's. Vick's works for us like salt works for fish. It helps them breath, relax, and get better.

Dead!

I'm pretty sure he's dead this morning, I didn't have time to check properly but I didn't see any breathing. V227 I have a video on him the day before yesterday and he looked fine swimming about, eating and no signs of disease.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 50
The only things I can think of are that he was already sick before I got him about 3 weeks to a month ago or I had some contaminated frozen blood worms :/ in which case I've fed the rest to my community tank with no signs of sickness anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom