Help! Big velvet desease problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMills27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 freshwater aquariums (Ive gone fish crazy starting last winter 2010) and i have been able to keep them in pretty good conditions, thanks to the wealth of information on the internet.

Ive been meaning to turn one of my 10g into a hospital tank. right now it houses a bunch of pond snails, floating hornwort, and a few plain guppies.

I'm slowly turning my 20g into a diy'ish high tech setup. It houses some more floating hornwort, dwarf saggitaria, water wisteria, and javamoss a molly, a mickymouse platy, some guppies, a few pondsnails, and an assassin snail. recently I upgraded the lighting and made a co2 reactor.

I'm sorry for being indirect about my question but these facts are relevant to the problem i am having. a few days ago i noticed the black molly had very shiny gold scales around his gills and mouth when i shone a bright flashlight on him. I've read this before as velvet desease. when i checked the platy and guppies, they have a very fine dust on them. The molly is darting around scratching things, but otherwise hes very energetic, and still eating. The other fish with the fine dust seem to be perfectly fine, thus far but i'm worried about the virus progressing .
Now i looked online and I guess copper-sulphate or other parasite killers can get this thing fixed, along with dark or dimmed lights, aquarium salt, and high temps. But this is a bit complicated as i'm trying to grow plants, and also keep snails healthy and happy in both tanks, how can i do this with the least amount of sacrifice to plants or snails?

(Today seems to be my long overdue bad-day and this is my first time asking advice on the internet. So please forgive me my brain isn't 100% focused today..lol)

***These are the details i'm suppose to give***

Problem : Fish have velvet in 20G
Tank Parameters: GH-180ppm
KH-180ppm
PH - 7.5
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 18ppm
Temp - 80F
20G Tank has been setup for ~6months
Filter setup : 10-20 Aquatech Power Filter
My livestock: 1 Platy
1 Molly
8-12 guppies (ones pregnant)
Assasin snail
A few pond snails

The molly was the newest addition about a month ago.

I usually do gravel clean/ water changes on all tanks every saturday. However last saturday i did no water change. On sunday i did "top-up" the aquariums. Usually on Saturday, on my 10g i change 2.5g out (1 bucket) and on the 20g i change 2 buckets (5g). I use Aquasafe Dechlorinator and add water after sitting for 24 hours.

The guppies are still at thier adolescent stage and at the most, only half an inch. The molly and platy are 1 inch.

Becuase i have read that platies are omnivores, i feed the fish a diet of bulk vegetable flakes(not the best choice i know) and some betta food (or shrimp pellet). Occasionally ill thow in a small piece of cucumber or some peas.

I have to agree with Librarygirl here. Moving your snails & plants while you treat the 20gal will be your best option here. Copper sulfate is the best treatment along with blacking out the tank. It is toxic to both plants & snails. Make sure you keep anything you use in the 20gal seperate from your other tanks (nets, buckets, gravel vacs, etc) so you dont spread velvet to your other fish. I would also dip the plants from your 20gal in a bleach solution to kill any of the disease before moving them elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I like library girl's idea because i would have to move less snails. However i have javamoss growing everywhere as well.

The reason why i'm holding the plants in high regard is because they almost melted down to nothing before i upgraded the lights (except the javamoss..lol). There doing much better now but still not 100%.

I think there might be a 10% chance i misdiagnosed. This fine dust i'm seeing is super-fine and i'm not sure if it was alwasy there. Plus the guppies are too tiny to see clearly. THe mickymouse platy is picking leaves and algae and seems to be normal.

The black molly doesn't have a dust at all, but has very shiny glimmering gold scales only seen when shining a light directly at him. These gold scales are seen on his gills, belly, to a lesser degree, on his side. Hes mostly gasping for air at the surface, chasing other fish frantically, and scratching himself on things. He is still eating though.

Am i correct to say that Ich is very similar to this velvet? I was reading a post on this site where someone raised the temp to 86 for a month with salt and meds managed to destroy the ich.

I think i might have mis-diagnosed. After furthur reading of the velvet disease i cannot find the top symptoms.

a) No fish are scratching against surfaces.
b) The fish are swimming and eating.
c) The fine dust i thought i was seeing, might have been my imagination. They still have thier bright color.

I haven't treated any of the fish yet. What made me really beleive before that the fish had velvet, is the molly's scales near his gills reflect a solid color of shiny gold (not a sprinkle dust type). I wonder what makes that whole part of the body (gills) shine a shimmering gold?

Im glad about the misdiagnosis!! I have no experience with mollies so im just guessing its normal coloring? Im sure someone with molly experience knows!

A fine dust would be easy to see on a slick black molly. Now i'm pretty sure i mis-diagnosed. Good thing i had the patience before medicating!..lol

I'm sorry Dragon, I do not know the exact type of molly he is. Someone bought him before I and hated him because he was aggressive to her other fish. So i gladly took him in. The black molly and the female mickymouse platy are kind of like long-lost friends. The molly does not chase or bite the platy, but follows her everywhere in the tank.

The molly does not have any kind of dust on him. Just shimmery gold scales..lol

I just did an image search on google for "black molly". Theres a molly on the second row with exactly the gold shimmer that i'm talking about. Maybe it is just thier natural colouring?

The day i posted this thread i was having a rough day. The worst thing that happened is the dog bit the pizza delivery guy on his leg! I was holding my breath hoping they don't sue or charge. Then i started imagining velvet...lol

TMills27 said:
I just did an image search on google for "black molly". Theres a molly on the second row with exactly the gold shimmer that i'm talking about. Maybe it is just thier natural colouring?

The day i posted this thread i was having a rough day. The worst thing that happened is the dog bit the pizza delivery guy on his leg! I was holding my breath hoping they don't sue or charge. Then i started imagining velvet...lol

I'm glad your fish are okay... Our imagination can run away with us sometimes!! ;-)

lol...sounds like a good plan jlk!

All the fish are fine, i guess i suffered from temporary craziness there. The molly is awesome, he eats red algae all day, that i couldn't get with my magnet scrubber. The platy prunes off suffering leaves from the wisteria. They are all little gardeners!

Attachments

• Planted.jpg
    Planted.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom