Help. Black Ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loki34829388

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. Pretty new. Silly me I got a black ghost as my first fish. He has been good in my 10g tank for a few months and I got a crazy deal on a 50g tank and set him up in it. I ran the tank for 2 weeks with water and gravel and a filter. I also put water from the old tank in as I filled it up.

Well to the point. My black ghost knife has a weird white markings on his side. Almost like a film I did some water changes and added charcoal. Not sure what i should do. Scared to medicate as he's scaleless.

I have video of it. I can't tell what it is please help me.
Help pls.

Attachments

• image-767294388.jpg
    image-767294388.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 236
  • image-1770264032.jpg
    image-1770264032.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 203
  • image-702891712.jpg
    image-702891712.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 218
  • image-793087451.jpg
    image-793087451.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 213
Try putting him back in the ten and see if it goes away. Your 50 isn't cycled. Search up fishless cycling for dummies and WORSHIP it! I know I did! Cycle it and put him back in. It could be too many electrolytes, which are caused by the fish having to protect itself from things that could hurt it. It could also be ich... But I doubt it.

If they look like little white dots it could be ick. The best way to beat that is with one of those box filter UV lights that you can put in the tank. They run about 30 - 40 bucks.

Omg thankyou for help.

So it may b like a burn?

Also I don't have the ten set up as a quarantine... Should I get some quick bacteria or something like that so it can culture?

Pecktec said:
If they look like little white dots it could be ick. The best way to beat that is with one of those box filter UV lights that you can put in the tank. They run about 30 - 40 bucks.

I haven't been so sure about ick. As it almost looks like a grey film. So he isn't shiny anymore just dull. I thought ick was like white pebbles on him

Ya, it doesn't sound or look like ich to me either. It could be a burn, but your gonna have to go with fish in cycling unless you still have the ten gallon set up.

No I don have the ten gal set up. So I take it I would be wise to set the ten up on a fishless cycle as a quarantine tank? And do a cycle with the fish in for the 50?

Any good articles in the forum on in fish cycling?

Definitely set up the QT. Fish in cycling is difficult, just search it and you'll get a gazillion different results, cause everyone does it unintentionally at some point or another. Just get the API master kit for about 32 bucks, and do 50% PWC's daily to keep the ammonia down, and test and post your results daily.

So do the 50% with the 50g or with him in the ten... Sry I'm confused I was talking to a guy at the pjs pets nearby and he said i should slow down on the water change as I did a 50% pwc and then a 20% on day 2&3. I was informed I may be taking out too much at a time so I was just freaking out and to wait a week and see how he does. Just keep testing the waters so he doesn't get too much toxicity

First habit you need to shake... Stop listening to the LFS employees. There are a few good eggs, but most of them are just in it for your $$. Always take the advice you learn here over the advice they give you. Do a 50% daily, until you get that test kit, then we can start monitoring progress.

Kk I got the kit. I'll start my changes soon as I get home tomorrow. Thanks for the support.

In defence of the guy has been pretty good to me. Started showing me the local clubs websites and said there's a swap meet or something like that coming up.

Your welcome, we'll walk you through it if you've got any questions. Can you post your readings for us?

Could be you are. Even with bad water 20-25% is as much as I do at a time. I have so many tanks though I can always steel good bacteria from used filters. Do you have your gravel from the last tank in there? If not add it there should be some good stuff in there. I cycled with a old bio wheel on a string. That Bio wheel had 4 years of tank life and it still took nine days or so for it to nice in there. I used a deformed guppy which may be mean but she made it fine and was manly a food fish anyway. That being said your Ghost is a lot more sensitive to water conditions.

Attachments

• image-1544062866.jpg
    image-1544062866.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 115
Yah all the old stuff ate in it even a live plant i had. All the rocks. Even the water.

My guppies are happy just he has these marks

Currently
ph - 7.5
Nh3 - 0

Ok, well if you have the old stuff, you're off to a good start.it's also good you've got no ammonia.

Awesome, do a 25% to get down that little bit of nitrite, and your on the right track! Pristine water and time are more helpful for your knifefish then any medication, just keep an eye on him.

a 50 gallon way to small for a black ghost knife and a ten is outrageously small haven't you done research on him

Back
Top Bottom