Help! Black Ghost Knife has stringy stuff and is hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickitiffen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My BGK (5 years) is hiding and 2 days ago I saw stringy like stuff on him. I had elevated nitrites but I got them down to 0. Planted aquarium. I have coral and driftwood in it.

The water chemistry was good except for pH is low--it was like 6 and maybe it is inching towards 7. I used API pH increase at a low dose. The LFS said that I should remove some of the gravel, clean the lower level real well bc he thinks there is too much stuff there and that's causing the pH to stay low.

Now the fish is hiding. I used MarOxy per the LFS advice. I am really worried about him. I am sentimental as he was bought by my late husband and would be very sad to lose him. He ate well the past few days.

Did we already talk? White stringy on his body? That kind of sounds like a slime coat issue. You have to be careful with the BGK's since they are scaleless. You have to be super careful with meds. Are his white stripes normal? (i.e. no blood streaks).
If it was my tank, I would change part of the water every day for a week, and see if it helps. Put the carbon back in the filter also, to get those meds out. If he doesn't improve and you need to use meds again, try to find something all natural, like Melafix/Pimafix/Ick-Attack and use 1/2 doses.

Back
Top Bottom