HELP! CAE sick and I don't know what else to do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littleloachlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! This is my first post so please be gentle. We have multiple tanks and are very fortunate to have very healthy fish, save 1....Mickey. Mickey is a 3.5 in Chinese algae eater. We are aware of their potential for agression and he has a planted 55 gallon home that he shares with 10 tiger barbs and various plants.
Quick stats: Eheim Eco Pro 2236 canister filter (for 80 gal)
Sand substrate.
Temp: 78.7
Amm. & nitrites: 0, nitrate 10 to 20
Weekly vac n 25% water changes (sometimes every 5days)
Our CAE has become swollen and red 3times prior to this episode. We quarantine him into a 10gal QT and try different things. To date, we have:
. epsom salt bath for constipation
. Kanaplex n epsom salt
. Antibacterial med recm'd by our lfs (whom we've trusted for yrs)
. Maracyn 1 & 2. ONLY success we've had. Once i have him well, he goes back to his 55gal home, but within 2weeks he turns red around gills and face and begins to swell (eventually pineconing). I dont want to euthanize him but i am out of options and ideas. I love this guy! I brought him back from my initial diagnosis of bacterial hemmorhagic sept. and i cant get him to remain healthy. He is very active and feeds continuously. PLEASE HELP US SAVE OUR beloved.

Hi! Unfortunately, once a fish has started to pinecone, this indicates theres now permanent damage to the internal organs (mainly the kidneys) and the prognosis is very poor. The recovery is only a temporary solution as you are discovering. You can try the maracyn combo again and hope for the best or seek out the aid of an aquatic vet for injections of baytril (or another stronger antibiotic). There has been some success in the goldfish community treating fish that have dropsied with the injections of prescription meds. I am truly sorry about your fish. :(

Thanks for replying! So, no matter how we successfully treat him.....he'll just keep getting sick again? If he were your fish, what would you do? I dont want him to suffer!

littleloachlover said:
Thanks for replying! So, no matter how we successfully treat him.....he'll just keep getting sick again? If he were your fish, what would you do? I dont want him to suffer!

Im sorry for you

Its a very tough call to make and its decision you will have to make for yourself. Will he likely to continue to get sick? Yes, but it may be weeks or even months before it happens again but typically each time will be a bit worse than the previous. As I said, you can consider seeking out the aid of an aquatic vet for prescription meds. Otherwise, do your best until he reaches a point that you will have to make a decision in respect to his quality of life. I am very sorry :(

jlk said:
Its a very tough call to make and its decision you will have to make for yourself. Will he likely to continue to get sick? Yes, but it may be weeks or even months before it happens again but typically each time will be a bit worse than the previous. As I said, you can consider seeking out the aid of an aquatic vet for prescription meds. Otherwise, do your best until he reaches a point that you will have to make a decision in respect to his quality of life. I am very sorry :(

If you want go to the vet that the best bet

Thank you. I know what Ill have to do eventually. People think im crazy for crying over a fish, but he is a pet to me like another persons cat or dog. I love him. He has been one of our favorite fish despite the reputation of the CAE. He has been much happier since the school of tiger barbs moved in. Ill check into a local acquatic vet. Thanks for your support and for everyones concern.

littleloachlover said:
Thank you. I know what Ill have to do eventually. People think im crazy for crying over a fish, but he is a pet to me like another persons cat or dog. I love him. He has been one of our favorite fish despite the reputation of the CAE. He has been much happier since the school of tiger barbs moved in. Ill check into a local acquatic vet. Thanks for your support and for everyones concern.

Im so sorry dont lisn to them people i cry when my favorite fish passes away do you have a pic you can show me

Back
Top Bottom