Help. Can anyone notice anytging wrong with the yellow tailed guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm doing10-20% water change once a day. Ammonia is 0ppm nitrate up slightly but got live plants so should b removed fingers crossed Thanx

Does the tank have any aeration or surface movement (from the filter or air stone)? The top of the water looks very still; some circulation of the water might help. Keep testing the water every day and do larger water changes as needed (keep ammona and nitrite <0.25 and nitrate <20). If you keep this up for a few days and the symptoms are still there then we can look at other causes such as parasites. Also if you could add an air stone or some type of movement for the surface that might help as well.

Yep filter is going. I've moved it closer to the surface. Also I already have an airstone in there. The water is defo moving lol. Temp is 80. All guppys have died last week :-(. Mollys r showing simular signs now tho. Hovering at surface etc although there tails aren't clamped. And they only occasionally pop up to the top of tank. I was also told to not keep changing the water 10-20% pwc as I was removing the bacteria. I'm re adding cycle again. Am I doing this right. I get advice that contradicts the other so I'm getting confused as to what to do. :). Thanx for help everyone xxx

Sarah Guppy said:
Yep filter is going. I've moved it closer to the surface. Also I already have an airstone in there. The water is defo moving lol. Temp is 80. All guppys have died last week :-(. Mollys r showing simular signs now tho. Hovering at surface etc although there tails aren't clamped. And they only occasionally pop up to the top of tank. I was also told to not keep changing the water 10-20% pwc as I was removing the bacteria. I'm re adding cycle again. Am I doing this right. I get advice that contradicts the other so I'm getting confused as to what to do. :). Thanx for help everyone xxx

How are they all doing? I would keep up the pwc's. 99% of the bacteria is in your filter and substrate, not in the water, so it won't harm anything changing that much water, the ammonia will.
I would very gradually bring your temperature down to 25°C. Fish can absorb oxygen better at lower temperatures. This will help them if they are having trouble breathing because if the ammonia. When the oxygen is low, they will try to conserve energy by hovering at the top or bottom of the tank, even if they are not gasping. Hope this helps! Sorry if I'm not making much sense, its 20 to 1 in the morning ;)

There not good today. Looks Like they've got fin rot. There being treated with quick cure. Hoping they feel lil better tomoz. There all very very still

There not good today. Looks Like they've got fin rot. There being treated with quick cure. Hoping they feel lil better tomoz. There all very very still

What are your water parameters? Are you doing daily water changes? The deaths and symptoms sound like it might be ammonia poisoning to me. Are you using a dechlorinator when you change water?

I disagree with the person who told you not to do water changes. Ugh, makes me mad lol. Most of your bacteria live in your filter, the rest on your substrate and decorations, very little in the water itself. Also don't use bacteria products like "Cycle;" they are unreliable at best and at worst can make it appear your tank has cycled but then the whole thing crashes in the future.

Ph-7.6
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-10
Use tapsafe when doing water changes
Also if ammonia is up I use ammonia remover. Which brings it bk down.

I would stop using it, but check your water parameters every day to ensure ammo and nitrite are staying at 0, b/c the cycle could be unstable from using that product. if you show ammonia, a pwc is the best thing to do, don't use ammo remover or any other chemical to get it down. water changes are your best friend. are the fish still having symptoms? if they are and your ammonia and nitrite are 0 then it's time to look at other causes.

It's defo ich. I've began treatment and there already improving. Most of the white spots have come off now. Fingers crossed I've saved my little community :). Thang very much for advice. I will stop usin ammo remover and carry on with water changes :)

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your luck with the gupps :( I lost one of mine the day after I brought him home a few months back, carrying parasites from the fish shop.. I know how frustrating it can be to know their ill but not know how else to help them

I've never bought fish from Pets at Home and don't plan on ever doing so, I just don't trust their stock is healthy!

If it is ich then you'll want to slowly raise the temperature, if you can get it up to 30-32*C without your fish showing signs of stress you can mop up the ich pretty quickly as the free swimming stage of the parasite dies at those high temps.

Not sure what the rest of your stock is (sorry was just a quick skim through the rest of the thread), but salt is the silver bullet for ich.

Everyone seems to have different opinions on what dose of salt to give, so I'll let the others chime in. But the first port of call for dealing with ich (or pretty much any parasite) should be salt and heat!

Funnily enough my gupps are fighting off ich at the moment too, pretty sure it hitched a ride on some plants along with a bunch of ramshorn snails that have recently popped up from nowhere! That's be the last time I don't wash and quarantine plants!

Good luck, I hope it goes ok for you!

...the first port of call for dealing with ich (or pretty much any parasite) should be salt and heat!

AGREED!!! I add salt with every PWC according to the instructions on the box and keep the temp at about 80 degrees F (27 degrees C for our friends using the metric system). I haven't had an issue with ich for almost a year.

:fish2:

Hi, so sorry to hear about your guppies. My friend bought 2 more guppies from the same pet shop, but in Preston, they were both dead within a week and now she has lost all her other guppies(15), no idea why..very sad :(

Back
Top Bottom