Help. Can anyone notice anytging wrong with the yellow tailed guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah Guppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-3597216.jpg

Hi. I've lost two female guppies in three days with no visible signs of ilness. Can anyone see if I've overlooked anytging from This pik. Sorry bout the quality of pikky

I can see that she's clamping her tail, and it looks as though the fin is burned at the tail edge. This could be from a "burn" from ammonia or nitrite or it could be a bacterial (or possibly fungal) infection.

It could be the angle of the photo, but there looks to be a film on the water surface as well. Have you tested your ammonia and nitrites? If either is not zero, you need to do a water change on the order of 50%, which I would do anyway. (Water changes are almost always the best medicine in my opinion.) Please advise with the ammonia and nitrite readings, and then we'll figure out hte next step.

Ammonia is 1 and nitrate 02 and 03 is zero

Are these your readings?

Ammonia = 1ppm
NitrIte = 2ppm
NitrAte = 0ppm

If that is the case, you definitely need to be doing some water changes. Both ammonia and nitrite will produce the effects I saw on the female guppy in the picture.

How long has your aquarium been set up and how did you cycle it? (Assuming you did cycle it.)

Set up around two months now. Did the cycle etc. I think they may of got it from the store I got them from. There was a dead guppy floating in there tank. I should of known really. Levels seem good now. Have to c how she goes. Is there anything I can give to speed up the healing process

The yellow tailed guppy from above pik has died :-(. Got 1f and 1m left. There in the small tank separated from other fish. All levels r good still.

image-3101212108.jpg

If you aren't showing any nitrates then the tank is probably not cycled yet. Nitrates are the eventual end result of ammonia so the bacteria should be converting any ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. If you are showing ammonia levels in the tank and no nitrates then this isn't happening for some reason.

The most important thing to do at this point is to keep that ammonia level as low as you can, it takes large water changes to do this. I'd start doing 50% water changes every day until you can maintain an ammonia level of .50 or below, the lower the better.

The other thing to do is minimize feeding, cut it back to once every other day until things get settled, less food in = less waste out.

I can't really see it, it could be internal parasites though. However, at this point, I would deal with the most immediate issue, which is the toxin level. Do the fish spend a lot of time hovering at the surface like that? That's a sign of toxin poisoning/exposure, and you should do a water change immediately if they are hovering at the surface and acting lethargic.

Just done a 50% change again. Yes they've always spent there time up the top. The male is quite active and uses most of tank. Just seems to b females. When I brought them m and f were in separate tanks so I think it was something from the store. Pets at home. Never again

Help please. I think my guppy's have infected th rest of my tank. Think it's paracite related as no visible signs of illness that I can c. There starting to hover at the top as did the guppies which have all died. Please help. I'm in the uk

Did you test the water again? Hovering is a sign of toxin poisoning. If the ammonia and nitrite levels are in check then I don't know other than throwing hand grenades at the problem, as in broad spectrum antibiotics like maracyn, parasite clear, etc.

It depends on what is wrong, that's what we need to narrow down. Testing the water is the first thing, if the water parameters are fine then you go by symptoms and try to determine what is causing the problem.

Back
Top Bottom