Help! Cloudy water & all fish at top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam1014

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to all this so please bare with me.

Basically, my mom has got a 125 litre tropical tank. She's got about 15 fish there's, which are guppies, mollies, silver shark, angel, silver dollar, elephant nose, neons and couple of small catfish.

The other day we noticed one of the mollies had fin rot, it actually didn't seem to be causing him much of a problem as be was still swimming around fine. We got some medicine for fin Rot and treated the tank. I know we should have quarantined the sick fish and treated his water, but we were worried incase it was contagious. Anyway, after about half n hour of treating the tank, the sick mollie started acting strange and swimming in circles and after a couple of hours died!
Now, the water has gone unbelievably cloudy and we can barely see the back of the tank. Also, all of the fish are swimming on the surface, almost like they're gasping for air. Even the fish that usually stay at the bottom are up there. We're gettin very worried. Yesterday, we put the carbon filters back in, and done a 50% water change, but its still the same.
Getting very worried now, wish we never used the medicine, seems it's had a complete reverse effect.

Please help!!!!!

How long has the tank been set up? Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, I would highly recommend you pick one up and test your water. As far as the clouding is concerned, is it white in color or green? White is usually a bacterial bloom, common in new tanks or overstocked tanks. Green cloudiness is usually an algae bloom.

I'm thinking the shark and elephant nose will get too big for your current tank. Also, depending on what type the catfish are, they might get too big as well.

Back
Top Bottom