Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Help. Cloudy water and now white moss

Help


I have an establish 15 gal aquarium. I've taken out cichlids and put neons and guppy. Did a water change Monday (first one with these fish) and it was cloudy after. Did another water change today. Now very cloudy and white moss or mold growing everywhere.
What is this and what to do?
__________________

__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post
Help

I have an establish 15 gal aquarium. I've taken out cichlids and put neons and guppy. Did a water change Monday (first one with these fish) and it was cloudy after. Did another water change today. Now very cloudy and white moss or mold growing everywhere.
What is this and what to do?
We need your water parameters and a picture please
__________________

__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post
Help

I have an establish 15 gal aquarium. I've taken out cichlids and put neons and guppy. Did a water change Monday (first one with these fish) and it was cloudy after. Did another water change today. Now very cloudy and white moss or mold growing everywhere.
What is this and what to do?
Here are pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3186575875.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	186951   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2380217349.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	186952  

__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
I dont see any white moss. How long has your tank been running?
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post

Here are pics
Ammonia .25. That is what comes out of my well water as well
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
I dont see any white moss. How long has your tank been running?
Right in bottom on black subtract
__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post

Right in bottom on black subtract
Running for a few months. At least 6 month. I took out African and add tetras and other. The other thing I did when changing water on Monday was take a live plants from my other aquarium of Africa cichlids and add it to this tank. Now all cloudy and getting worst by the minutes. The molds almost looks like what grows on bad bread
__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post

Right in bottom on black subtract
Have you replaces your filter pads lately?
If so, when?
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
What water conditioner do you use?
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Have you replaces your filter pads lately?
If so, when?
I replaced it on the 5 th. I replace every month with no exception. I normally don't use water conditioner. I have two more tanks and all is good. I add water conditioner today to see if it would help. But no. I used prime
__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post

I replaced it on the 5 th. I replace every month with no exception. I normally don't use water conditioner. I have two more tanks and all is good. I add water conditioner today to see if it would help. But no. I used prime
Okay. Here is the problem dont replace your filter every month. Your filter pad is the main source for beneficial bacteria that sustain the life in your tank. When you replace it your tank will naturally get cloudy because it has to re-cycle
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Okay. Here is the problem dont replace your filter every month. Your filter pad is the main source for beneficial bacteria that sustain the life in your tank. When you replace it your tank will naturally get cloudy because it has to re-cycle
Isn't their the bacteria in the water and subtract?
__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
And you need to use the water conditioner every time you do a pwc. No matter what. Its vital
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post

Isn't their the bacteria in the water and subtract?
Yes but the vast majority is gonna be on the filter. When you do a water change, take the filter out and rinse it in your old tank water. This will keep the bb alive and your tank healthy
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
And you need to use the water conditioner every time you do a pwc. No matter what. Its vital
That not what I understand from well water. Why have I not ever gotten any. Problem in the last year I have my three tanks
__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post

That not what I understand from well water. Why have I not ever gotten any. Problem in the last year I have my three tanks
Well water is a bit different. I didnt know you had a well. Well water is only gonna be a bit harder but cleaner most definitely. Id still add a tidge of prime to help. Im not sure what the white stuff is. Try dojng a gravel vac and a 30% water change. Add the prime and lets see what happens
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Well water is a bit different. I didnt know you had a well. Well water is only gonna be a bit harder but cleaner most definitely. Id still add a tidge of prime to help. Im not sure what the white stuff is. Try dojng a gravel vac and a 30% water change. Add the prime and lets see what happens
That what I did today and its getting worst. Online I think it seems to be a fungus
__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vance1013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington USA
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogauthi View Post

That what I did today and its getting worst. Online I think it seems to be a fungus
If you could get a better pic of the white stuff and your cloudiness is from a bacterial bloom which will go away after awhile the bacterial bloom is being caused from the bb colony reestablishing itself due to changing filter pads only need to replace when falling apart but you run the new with the old for a couple weeks first and if it is a fungus it will die off on its own I just had some it will go away
__________________
Fish addict Forever! or FaF for short.
vance1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Are there any missing fish? The fungus could be from a decomposing fish
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Nogauthi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Are there any missing fish? The fungus could be from a decomposing fish
No missing fish
__________________

__________________
Nogauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×