Help Columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my black skirt tetras has a white growth on the top of it's mouth. I believe it is Columnaris. I was wondering if I should treat with salt or antibiotics or both? And what kind of antibiotics? I am worried about the affect on my other fish.
I have a 60g (fake plants and fake coral) with 8 skirt tetras, 5 bleeding heart tetras, 5 julii corys, and 7 black kuhlis. Will salt or antibiotics hurt the kuhlis and corys? I heard Columnaris can spread quickly so I want to treat the entire tank.
My water perameters are:
PH - between 7.8-8.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - between 0-5
Temp - 76-78 degrees
Any help and advise would be great thank you!

Is there any possibility that the white fuzzy growth isn't columnaris? I keep researching the internet and I see where others have had this problem but I never see an outcome. Everyone with experience of columnaris seem to say their fish died quickly and I have seen posts where their fish don't eat and show other signs on their body. My fish is very active and has a healthy appetite. Any insight would be great! Thanks!

How's it doing? It sounds like cotton mouth but can you post a pic? Any other signs?

Can you separate into a QT. Both salt, meds and a lower temp will help. A temp at low end of fish type will slow down the bacterial infection. The salt could be an issue for scaleless fish. Also plants for sure.

The salt may help with it if it is fungus.

Edit - I've found it will move through the same fish first (don't know if just lucky there :( ). If another fish gets same then likely cottonmouth.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. The fish is still acting normal right now. In fact the white growth looks to have gotten a tiny bit smaller. I haven't had a change to quarantine him because I don't ahve any extra supplies. I am running out tomorrow to get a 10gallon setup for this purpose. I am going to use the tank water the fish is in but still give it a couple of days to start cycling before I put him in it to treat. I don't see any other fish with this proplem. I think it may just be a fungus because otherwise the fish seems healthy. Any suggestions on meds? I will use salt but then I was thinking maybe API Fungus Cure? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 88
Is it just on mouth?. Wasn't sure if I saw a white dot on gills?

Worth a try with meds, if no luck add salt. I've used up to 2 tablespoon per 5 gallon with a bn catfish (started at 1 teaspoon) with no problems but I figured that if any rolled over after adding salt I would just restart the QT.

Thanks! Yeah it just a small spot right above the mouth. Nothing by the gills. I think that was just a reflection in the picture. The weird thing is the spot is even smaller now tonight. It seems to be going away slowly. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or just a sign of something else since I read both fungus and bacterial diseases cannot go away on their own but need to be treated. I got the QT set up tonight. I am going to let it run for a couple days before I put him in it and start treatment.

Thanks for asking. Actually, I bought a 10gallon tank kit to set up as the QT but when I got home the white growth on the fish was completely gone. I thought maybe I should still go ahead and medicate him but I didn't want to do more harm than good by causing him unwarranted stress. So I decided to just let it go for now and keep an eye out for unusual behavior. So far all my fish seem happy and healthy though. I just did a good vacuuming of the gravel and 30% water change over the weekend. Hopefully it will all work out. I have no idea what the fuzzy white spot was on his face but it's gone for now.

Back
Top Bottom