HELP!!!! Dalamation Molly has patch of skin that feel off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladycage

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed that my dalamation molly has a patch of skin that is missing on one side, it looks whitish and is sorta big. It is on the side of her body. It also seems like a few scales are missing from my bala shark? What can this be and how should I treat it. I have a 75 gallon 4ft long tank. I checked the water levels at everything seems fine. Nitrate is below 20, nitrite is 0, chlorine is 0, water PH is neutrul, water is soft.

I put some drops if quick cure in the tank and added some aquarium salt but I'm not sure that will work but I was desperate and thats all I had. I will go get the medicine but I need to know what to buy.

I think it may be columaris

Please help. :?:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/data/540/thumbs/dalamation3.jpg

I don't know how to post pics but that is a link to see the molly, that is the good side.

It sounds like columnaris to me as well. Did you test for ammonia? How long has the tank been set up? I can't tell for sure in that pic. First I would get some Jungle's Fungus eliminator or Maracyn and QT the fish and treat. Treating a 75 gal tank would be quite expensive. Keep an eye on the other fish for any signs. I would also put some activated carbon in the filter to remove the Quick Cure.
What are your other inhabitants?

I have 3 cory cats, 2 male swordtail, 4 female swordtail, 3 rainbow tetra, 2 giant danio, 1 male betta, 3 mickey mouse platy. I tested for ammonia is 0. But I had them all in a 10 gallon tank for about 2 days while my 75 gallon was being cycled. When I tested the water in that it was dangerously high ammonia and nitrate so I moved the fish immediately into the 75 gallon, I guess the molly could have gotten the disease from that tank with the high ammonia levels.

Treat the molly in the 10 gal as your QT.

Jungle's Fungus Elliminator has always worked very well for me.

Now a quick explanation on how to post pics. There are 2 ways to do this, one is to link from a site like http://www.photolocker.net,

the other is to direct link in which you go to the reply button scroll down to filename and click browse and upload the pic you want. Please note there are size restrictions. The pic you linked to is too small to see well.

Here is ladycage's pic

dalamation3.jpg

Another pic
Not sure if I know how this works but I am trying to post a pic.

the instructions above are some what vague.

One pic shows the good side of the dalamation and the other shows a blurry pic of the bad side, its like the fish knows that I am taking his picture and won't let me snap the bad side.

Attachments

• dalamation_174.jpg
    dalamation_174.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 35
  • dalamation_337.jpg
    dalamation_337.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 30
  • mickeymouse_145.jpg
    mickeymouse_145.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 35
  • cottonpatch__2__684.jpg
    cottonpatch__2__684.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 22
The pic works. It certainly looks like columnaris infection. I would get the Jungle's fungus eliminator as soon as possible and start treatment in QT.

Will Maracyn or melafix and pimafix work, I ordered those from drfosterandsmith.

A little better pic of the disease

Attachments

• columaris_146.jpg
    columaris_146.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 300
I am using the Melfix and Pimafix and it is healing the molly, I will start the Maracyn after 7 days if it is not completely healed.

Back
Top Bottom