HELP! Do I have a problem with my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShubunkinKoi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an outdoor fish pond and a bunch of Koi and standard goldfish. I have about 5 larger fish (6-8 inch) and 5 smaller ones which were born in the pond. They're all between 2 and 3 inches.

I had 7 small ones but two have recently died. Here's the story.

I bought a 75 gallon tank for indoors and moved the fish inside for the winter (pond is only 2 feet deep). Once I had the water under control and clear the fish were fine. They've been in the inside tank, healthy and active, since Late September.

There has been an issue with the oder of the water, though it remained very clear for a few months. I did regular 20% water changes every two weeks or so. Recently it started getting green so I did a water change, cleaned the filters and added some clarifier. It cleared up and it looks fairly clear now. I also added a product to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramine. That I added with the new water when I did the change.

Here's where it gets interesting. I have a telescope eye fantail and he's been resting on the bottom periodically. In the evening when I switch on the light and feed them he's up and about like nothing's wrong. But then in the morning I'll see him listlessly sitting on the bottom.

The other fish, Koi, Shubunkin, Comet, all seem fine.

Then the other day I found a dead little one with his tail eaten away. I thought that was strange. I removed the body. The next morning there was another little one dead. This time with the tail and head picked away.

I'm concerned and don't know what could be causing this. The other fish do not seem aggressive to the smaller ones. Could I be under/over feeding them? Could water quality be an issue?

The two smaller fish were healthy and fine, then the next day, dead. I didn't see any nipping going on or chasing.

Anyone have any ideas? Also, if you have any info on the tank smell that would be great too. haven't been able to control this.

Do you have a test kit? A reading on your water (Ammonia especially, but also nitrite, nitrate, pH, and temperature) will help.

As for the fish laying on the bottom. It is fairly normal if it is only in the morning after the lights come on. Fish find odd ways to sleep at night, that often times means sitting on the gravel.

These guys will sleep? That's funny.

Okay, so I won't worry so much about the resting on the bottom thing, it is usually in the morning that I see them hanging out down there.

I'll be taking a water sample to the local shop this weekend. I'll see what they say.

Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom