Help! Dwarf gourami gone crazy !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium-mania

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help me out , my new dwarf gourami ( I got him yesterday) keeps swimming up and down the glass vertically at mad speeds then hiding behind the filter :
Dwarf gourami ill Pictures, Dwarf gourami ill Images, Dwarf gourami ill Photos, Dwarf gourami ill Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

He does this constantly , is it poisoning or is he chasing his reflection ?he does this at the tank corner too.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398612400.201868.jpg
Tank :
20 gallon ,cycled,dirt capped with sand
pH : 7.3
3 N's : 0.25,0,0
Fluval U3 internal power filter , baffled .
Temp : 25C

He is the only fish in the tank , along with some MTS. Roobios was added to the tank with the water conditioner to stain the water . After I first acclimated him , he was swimming normally . He spat out the pellets I gave him this morning .

What can I do to help this poor guy ?
He looks very distressed :(

the lighting in your tank doesn't look that good… do you do 30 % water changes every week ? , but some fish just do that and some fish don't , to be 100 % sure its just the fish get another one and if it reacts the same then there is definitely something wrong with the tank :)

the lighting in your tank doesn't look that good… do you do 30 % water changes every week ? , but some fish just do that and some fish don't , to be 100 % sure its just the fish get another one and if it reacts the same then there is definitely something wrong with the tank :)

Yeah , I turned off the lights to not stress him out too much .

I do 50% water changes every week.

I'm really sorry but I don't think I should get another dwarf gourami because the males kill each other and my LFS doesn't sell the females. Unless you mean I should get another type of fish .

You could always try another fish :) , are there any air filtration in your tank?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

Make sure the filter pushes air down in the tank it helps alot

Make sure the filter pushes air down in the tank it helps alot

My filter output is too strong , I had to baffle it as he was getting swept around the tank. How do I get it to push air in ?

Make the hoze thingy(where the water comes out), let it be above water so the water is actualy pushing air with it ,know what i mean ? Sorry for the spelling

It is better to have the main lights btw , could i see the tank with full lights and of the filter ?:)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398699586.228199.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398699612.588339.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398699632.982797.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398699650.372588.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398699672.867037.jpg
Sorry , my camera quality is rubbish. The cloudiness is due to me accidentally stirring up my sand when I was fixing the filter. Sorry .

What kind if light is that? Il have you know though gouramis dont like much current, is he still acting vvery stressed ?

But yes that is what i was talkin about

What kind if light is that? Il have you know though gouramis dont like much current, is he still acting vvery stressed ?

LED strip lights as my Dad is stingy and won't buy me proper ones.

I know they don't like strong current , which is why I baffled the filter. But the current is stronger now I've put the flow as you suggested.

Yes, he's still very stressed .

You should try to make something to point the hoze thingy straight down , but i would reccomend normal lights , have you thought of buying another fish to see if that is the problem?

Your dad is styngi what do you mean ?

You should try to make something to point the hoze thingy straight down , but i would reccomend normal lights , have you thought of buying another fish to see if that is the problem?

I can make the flow like a vertical spray bar .

Like I said , Dad's stingy.

My parents won't drive me to the LFS until the weekend .

What can I do to help him ? He looks really unhappy ...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398704139.188263.jpg
I found something in a fishkeeping book , however it doesn't explain how to stop the behaviour.

Is that a powerhead or a filter? That thing probly generates a TON of flow in that tank, gouramis dont like too much water movement

Have you tried turning it off?

If your ammonia is 0.25..... do a 50% wc

Turn the powerhead off for a bit too..... see if things change in the next 24 hrs

Back
Top Bottom