Help! Dwarf Gourami laying on gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new dwarf gourami is laying on his side on the gravel. I freaked out because I thought he was dead but his eyes were moving. So I open the hood and he swims up to the top- but it wasn't a "ha ha im just playing" swim... something is seriously wrong.

Earlier I caught him with his mouth at the top of the water (almost like he wasn't getting enough air) so I turned the airpump on just in case and now he is very slow and just sick.

I checked my waters and I have those cr*ppy sticks that you dip in the water.. and as far as I can tell the ammonia isn't high and the pH sticks aren't reading (i think they have gone bad)

Its a 29gal and the only other fish in there is my 7in pleco.

Any ideas whats wrong? He is a young fish n stuff

Being labyrinth fish, dwarf gouramis will frequently come to the surface to refill their supply of air. Laying on his side on the gravel, on the other hand, is NOT a good sign. How new is this fish?? Did you acclimate him carefully? Sounds like it could be pH shock or some other reaction to water parameters.

One thing you could try is a 25% water change. Are there any other symptoms?? Itching? Any visible parasites?

I added him several weeks, maybe a month ago. He has been doing fine. He is "upright" right now but not moving. He is at the bottom, hiding behind the Undergravel water filter tubes.

img_207238_0_5cba31e8592cbc57ca8a4ec40328f427.jpg

I don't see any parasites and he isn't "scratching" himself on the gravel

I can't tell if the dark place on his head is the shadow or not

Right now I have a piece of foil dividing the tank because I don't want the pleco to get him and foil is all I have

Back
Top Bottom