Help, female crowntail odd gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qozux

Aquarium Advice Regular
just brought home a new crowntail female and noticed her gills are kinda red and there's a small shiny spot behind them on both sides.
Pic should be attached here.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 58
Red gills are a sign off ammonia exposure. Is you tank cycled, im guessing not? Do a large water change of 50% to bring them back to safe levels.

I hadn't put the fish into my tank yet. Just noticed it when I got her home from the store.
My tank is cycled. Today, before going to the lfs, I was at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. I did a 25% to lower the nitrates and went to the store.

Ok, so did she come with red gills? Well see how she gets on, if you only got her today let her settle in for alittle while.

Looking at the picture again, theyre extremely red. Are you 100% sure theres no ammonia present in the tank? Is she your first fish?

Generally betta's are kept in small cups with no water changes, so how much ammonia do you think she was living in?

Just keep her in clean water, she should be fine.

I hadn't put the fish into my tank yet. Just noticed it when I got her home from the store.
My tank is cycled. Today, before going to the lfs, I was at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. I did a 25% to lower the nitrates and went to the store.

You are on the right track keep an eye on your betta and keep the water quality as pristine as you can and just be patient

Looking at the picture again, theyre extremely red. Are you 100% sure theres no ammonia present in the tank? Is she your first fish?

Not the first fish. 100% sure as long as both my API master test kit and seachem ammonia alert are both correct.

Back
Top Bottom