HELP!!!! Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 gallon high that I fishless cycled with ammonia that finished cycling march 8. I added 5 bloodfin tetras on march 8, and then 2 more a week later. I bought 3 rummynose tetras on march 28. I went on vacation the next day, and got back today. I have a tetra whisper 30 filter, have not changed the filter pad yet, and have not vacuumed the gravel yet. I do 5 gallon water changes every weekend. the last time I checked (about 5 days ago) I had:
10-20 nitrate
0 nitrite
0 ammonia
7.4 ph
Right after that reading I did a 5 gallon water change. My problem is that one of my rummynose had his tail fin completely gone when I got home today (the 31st). I think it is fin rot, although it could be bullying. The rummy nose are all smaller than the bloodfins, and 2 big bloodfins chase the rummynose around sometimes, but it doesn't seem to serious. The rummy nose that is affected is the smallest fish in the tank. So, my total stock is 7 bloodfins and 3 rummynose. I took the affected rummynose and put him in a small tupaware container with tankwater, and took some pics of him. I don't want to put him back in the tank unless it is only bullying. I have the other two rummy nose in a cage thing that hangs on the side of the tank, so they cannot interact with the bloodfins, just in case it is bullying (although they are only separated by fine mesh, so the water still passes through). What should I do? If it is fin rot, I think I will take him back to the store, and get some more rummynose. If it is bullying, which is a bit of a problem anyway, I think I will still take the affected one back to the store, and get some more rummy nose. My questions are:
how do I treat fin rot?
is this fin rot?
how should I fix the bullying thing, or is it just a temporary stress issue?
any thing else I should do? Maybe a water change?
here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 93
  • rummynose 2.jpg
    rummynose 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 102
  • rummynsoe 1.jpg
    rummynsoe 1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 78
If he's tail is really all off, I wouldn't suspect fin rot. And if you're parameters were always good, it is most likely not fin rot. You should see fin rot coming, it doesn't destroy the hole tail or fin, it does it slowly.

If you want to stay updated on this tank go to my thread called "20 Gallon High Journal/Questions" which is in the "getting started" section.

Back
Top Bottom