Help! Fin rot or over handling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423115892.178169.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423115907.368915.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423115921.125655.jpgbought John Wayne (cause he's red white and blue) from PetSmart 3 weeks ago. The first photo is when I brought him home. I noticed his fins seemed to be fraying (photo #2) assuming fun rot I put him in a .5 gal QT and treated with Aq salt and daily water changes with Stress Coat. Today is the 6th day of treatment and I fear his fins look worse then they did 6 days ago. He has not been subjected to the current of the filter for the entire time so It can't be damage from the filter. When not quarantined he is the only fish in a 5 gal heated/filtered tank. I have the QT tank floating in his tank for warmth. He is very active and eating well. I haven't been testing the ph or ammonia levels in his QT tank since I'm changing the water daily. My questions are...

Does fin rot get worse before it gets better?

Do you think it is fin rot?

Could it be over handling stress from doing 100% water changes everyday? I'm not the best with the net and catching him with a cup is difficult.

Could the damage be self inflected?

Any advise of what to do next?

Tomorrow will be the 7th of treatment and I had planned on putting him back in the tank. But not sure if I should continue treatment in the QT.

Should I treat with antibiotics? Or Bettaflex?

Any advise appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Betta, frayed/torn find

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia - .5 still cycling
Ph - 7.6
Temp - 75 degrees

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

5 gallon/about 3 weeks

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Filter that came with a 5gal hex. Tank was given to me so I don't know how anything more about the filter ? 5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 1 betta 6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 7 days ago. I remove about 20-25% 7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? 3 weeks; bought it from Petsmart 8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Yes, prime, aquarium salt, stress coat 9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Betta pellets Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like either fin rot, or you have a tail biting betta. Keep treating. If it doesn't get better he may be a tail biter.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Wouldn't be the first time. Haha.

No improvement. He was dead this morning. Don't you feel bad now Matt? ;)

Me? Why should I feel bad. LOL your the one that iced bob the betta. (just kidding people at aquarium advice.com were just kiddin here)

I know. I can take it. Off to destroy the lives of fish... Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom