Help! Fish are dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really see anything wrong with the gills.
I love animals but it is so frustrating when they are sick. If only fish could just talk this would be easy!?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't really see anything wrong with the gills.
I love animals but it is so frustrating when they are sick. If only fish could just talk this would be easy!?

When you say they are at the top, are they sticking their nose out?

Gill damage it not always visible, this also means they definitely have a chance.

Add some salt if you can, and an air stone.

In the meantime taking the water level down a little bit, so the water coming out of the filter will "splash" more will improve o2. O2 gets into the water through surface vibration. That's why we get air stones, the bubbles don't do much, it is the vibration of the water surface the bubbles cause.

They aren't sticking their mouth above the surface, just hanging out real close to the top.
I will try those things and let you know how they work out.
Thanks!

They aren't sticking their mouth above the surface, just hanging out real close to the top.
I will try those things and let you know how they work out.
Thanks!

That's good, I think they'll be ok then.

Ok so I just got back from the store where I picked up an air pump, air stone, tubing, and aquarium salt. I haven't added the salt yet, but the 2 larger fish already look a lot happier (the 1 small one might not make it).
Seeing as though they are tetras, is salt really okay to use?

Ok so I just got back from the store where I picked up an air pump, air stone, tubing, and aquarium salt. I haven't added the salt yet, but the 2 larger fish already look a lot happier (the 1 small one might not make it).
Seeing as though they are tetras, is salt really okay to use?

Yes, I have used salt with cardinals, glo lights, neons, and cichlids it's fine and the dose is minimal. It seems like a lot, but it's really not.

Maybe try the air stone first, and then add the salt if needed.

Update...
All of the fish died. :-(
I brought my water sample back to the store even though everything looked good from my end. After they tested it they said my pH was about 6.8 while theirs was 7.2-7.4 and I must not have transitioned them well enough causing shock, stress, and eventually death.
I hadn't even thought to ask what the pH in the store was when I bought them.
Needless to say I am going to be extra thorough next time in every aspect.

Oh I did. Full refund.
Back to square one with how to stock the tank though.
I want some schooling fish, but I also really like the bigger predator fish like SA cichlids and pictus catfish. It's a 40g tank so I don't want to have only 1 or 2 fish though. Oh well.

Ya South Americans really need space to thrive. I have a mix of Cardinals, glowlights, embers, and neon tetras that all school together, really cool.

An African leaf fish would also be cool with a 40g, but can only have similar sized tank mates. They are perfectly designed to eat tiny fish.

A leaf fish, rainbow shark, some Denison barbs, and a school of rummy nose would be sweet.

I like red, can you tell.

A blue fin notho would be sweet too. Or striped panchax are another sweet fish too.

I like that combo in terms of the colors, but I really want to stick to fish from one general region. If I did barbs and a shark I wouldn't do rummys and vice versa.

I like that combo in terms of the colors, but I really want to stick to fish from one general region. If I did barbs and a shark I wouldn't do rummys and vice versa.

Well you definitely have a lot of options. You can do a lot with a 40g.

Back
Top Bottom