Help fish dropping like flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I just looked it up, its a powder form of furan. So "bifuran" aka Furan is primarily a gram positive antibiotic/anti-microbal.
You must understand that most fish diseases that are killers are Gram negative. That is why they combine Furan with Kanamycin, to get a Combination. Kanamycin can safely (and should) be combined with furan. Getting a big bag of kanamycin flake for 5.50 is a very good deal. Furan alone will not treat all bacterial infections, in fact its more useful as a anti-fungus type antiseptic that is combined with a good antibiotic. I recommend you do get a real antibiotic if you are having massive die offs (probably F. Columnaris, gram negative)

Okay I just looked it up, its a powder form of furan. So "bifuran" aka Furan is primarily a gram positive antibiotic/anti-microbal.
You must understand that most fish diseases that are killers are Gram negative. That is why they combine Furan with Kanamycin, to get a Combination. Kanamycin can safely (and should) be combined with furan. Getting a big bag of kanamycin flake for 5.50 is a very good deal. Furan alone will not treat all bacterial infections, in fact its more useful as a anti-fungus type antiseptic that is combined with a good antibiotic. I recommend you do get a real antibiotic if you are having massive die offs (probably F. Columnaris, gram negative)

Oh ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes you need the correct gram negative or positive med to treat. There can be two kinds of illness could require negative and positive meds. Not all meds can be mixed so please verify them when treating.

Hope you get this figured out and get things back on track. My Columnaris experience took about 6 months to calm down because it came back after things seemed to be all better. It was frustrating and an emotional roller coaster.

I have read not to mix furan with food?
Can't say why but in more then one place(still not trusted?).
I will say if you have columnaris and your fish are dropping like flies then you NEED both meds as Autmn mentioned.
Those meds are Kanamycin and furan.
One without the other will not be as effective and since your fish show a fast turn towards death I can only say you stand little chance without both.
Kana is absorbed so does need an edible substitute ,not to mention MANY other antibiotics have already been proven practically USELESS against columnaris.
Kana is relatively cheap online and readily available.
I would not waste the furan if you don't have kana.
Furan on the other hand is meant to treat the outside of the fish so the fish eating it is not necessary .
The different "behavior" of these meds is why they are recommended to be combined.
******************IMO***********************
I going to say that the one original fish is a carrier also.
It may show no signs of the issue but is the "culprit" behind your new fish infected and die so fast.

I have pulled a simple read on the different strains of columnaris and possibly this will help also?

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

So I ended up just destroying the tank and completely starting over. I threw EVERYTHING away. I euthanized the 2 remaining fish. I didn't want to risk anything coming back!

I set up a new 10 gallon aquarium that is doing well! It's still cycling. I'm going to get fish at the end or towards the end of week. Maybe on Friday and I'll get a bday discount at my lfs, worth a shot ;)

I have definitely learned to quarantine new fish! Don't have another 10 gallon to quarantine though because I cracked it when dumping the substrate out :/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom