Help, fish dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYfishies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!!

I have a 29 gallon tank. I'm using a Fluval 306 canister.

Funny, but I have a blue fish in there and don't even remember what species, but I assure you, I do love my little friends. I also "had" 3 red peacocks. 2 of them died in the past week.

I assumed something wrong with water. But I have the API master kit, I think, and I did thorough testing daily for the past week. Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite & PH levels all are in range, perfect in fact according to the kit.

I also "cleaned" the filter after the first one died. But all I did was clean out the dirty water in there, replace 2 of the 4 sponge things, but left the other 2 there. I added some more Biomax to the 2 areas that hold it. I didn't want to remove much of anything from in there.

I cleaned the gravel as usual, and only did 1/3rd thus far.

Everything I can possibly imagine seems perfectly fine and the water tests fine. I don't see ick or hole in head or any other visible type diseases, but I'm FAR from any type of expert.

The remaining 2 fish seem to be doing just fine, but hell, so did the others until they died.

Is there anything else I can try or test? I went to the pet store and the 2 guys there didn't offer much they I didn't already try. They sold me a small bottle of "melafix", as they said maybe it's a bacterial infection in there? I didn't use it yet, I wanted to get a second opinion, as I don't know if it will just add to my problems.

I'll continue my searches here on this great forum, but if anyone has any ideas, I would be hugely thankful!!!

Thanks!!

Wanted to add:

I did about a 40% water change just in case as well. Not sure how long is best to change anymore, nor if it's necessary since tests come back fine. In the past, when doing larger changes, I would usually wait about a week before changing more. Just wanted to add. :)

Also, tank has been up and running for about 3 years now, never had an issue with the water and I have always maintained it.

I'd skip the Melafix. It's tea tree oil. It can help with minor infections but can build up in the water and become toxic.

Did the peacocks show any symptoms?

I'd skip the Melafix. It's tea tree oil. It can help with minor infections but can build up in the water and become toxic.

Did the peacocks show any symptoms?

Thanks, no Melafix then. That's why I always ask about anything I don't know. Once the chemicals go in, no coming back out! I don't want to place anything in there without knowing for sure. :)

I saw no symptoms really at all, other than dying. They had the same thing, the day before I noticed the one was on the bottom, breathing and all but on an angle instead of upright. A few hours later he was then upside down, but still breathing and moving. Then of course dead the next day. The next fish was more or less the same thing. But nothing I could physically see that would make you think disease of any kind, and nothing really out of the ordinary on their actions up until then.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom