HELP! Fish Seizure!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here we go:
Type of Fish: Dwarf Puffer- probably nearing maturity. I was in the process of a water change, adding water & dechlorinator when I saw it happen. The puffer starting spazzing (twitching) uncontrollably then immediately sunk. I grabbed the net and nudged him. Gone. Not only did I pay a nice dollar for these fish, but me and my younger sister had grown quite attached to these miniscule cuties.
I checked the tank parameters with the API Master Test Kit. The results were:
ph: 6.8
High ph: Not Tested
Ammonia: close to 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: close to 0ppm

The tank specs are as follows: Standard 20gal filtered with a Fluval U3. Setup in November 2012, and completely stablized by late December 2012.

Fellow tank mates were 2 other dwarf puffers and 3 otos. No other strange behaviour and symptoms.

Upon removal from the tank, I attempted to study the puffer for abnormal coloration and markings, but with the small nature of these guys, it proved next to impossible.

I think I answered almost everything from the checklist...

im guessing that ur tank is fresh? dwarf puffers need brackish, and later full marine salt tanks 2 thrive. sorry for the loss! those guys are cute, but i never got one for that reason...

Are u sure I know the green spotted and the figure 8 need to be brack then salt but I think I have read on here that dwarfs are fresh only

Well, more bad news. Checked the tank this morning: all the other fish passed away.
So I sucked the tank dry and got rid of the live plants (sold them).

Anybody have any clue what might've happened? I've read about massive tank death before, but I was always under the impression it typically happened in less than 24 hours. In this case, it was closer to 48 hours.

I figured some sort of disease, so that's why I sucked it dry.

Did you add dechloranator then add water or add water and then dechlorinate?
You should have a little nitrates, were you heavily planted? Are you sure you added your prime? Change water conditioners? If they were maturing, are your sure they didn't need brackish water?

Did you add dechloranator then add water or add water and then dechlorinate?
You should have a little nitrates, were you heavily planted? Are you sure you added your prime? Change water conditioners? If they were maturing, are your sure they didn't need brackish water?
I use the Aqueon Water Changer, so as its filling up I had added the dechlorinator.
I did have some nitrates- the color was reading in just a tad darker than 0ppm. That, and yes, it was heavily planted.
I had never used Prime, but I did use a similar product that I injected into the substrate.

Either way- whatever the cause, I'm assuming its gone, after I sucked it dry. I refilled it, cranked the heat, changed the times on the timer for the light and added some API Quick Start.

I'm leaving the tank be for a couple days, then I'll do a full panel water test, water change, etc.

Back
Top Bottom