Help Fishie emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hses2esf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got home from class and the heater on my tank appeared to be smoking....Could have been evaporation of water though......All I know is the water in my tank was very hot and when I unpluged and removed the heater the glass on it shattered. I have a 2.5 gallon tank with one zebra danio in it. It has a disposable filter made for small tanks on it and it had a heater.I don't know what to do now. I can't get to the store until the weekend...will my danio be alright until then. What could have caused this my heater was set on 78 degrees which usually keeps the tank at 76 degrees? Does anybody have any advice for me?

I would try really hard to get to a petstore... It would also help to wrap it up in newspaper and blankets to try to keep the temperature up.. I wouldnt dump large ammounts of hot water though that would really stress the fish out..

It isn't uncommon for a heater to crack when not in contact with water. What is the normal temp in the room the tank is in? Wrapping the tank in a blanket as Rach says is a good idea also. Did you remove all the glass from the tank as well?

Back
Top Bottom