HELP!! Free floating cory with no "wiskers"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What may be wrong!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121217_092859.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_092859.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20121217_093017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_093017.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20121217_093144.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_093144.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 78
More pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121217_093330.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_093330.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20121217_093531.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_093531.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 69
What may be wrong!

Gravel is too hard to clean, for me. I switched to sand because of this same thing.
If the bottom is polluted, the barbels/whiskers wear down. They use those to forage for food on the bottom. Also, I think it is easier for them to forage on sand.

He might be hungry. :(

5 other cories have been in this tank for 2 weeks and are just fine, in fact they look better than when I got them IMO.

5 other cories have been in this tank for 2 weeks and are just fine, in fact they look better than when I got them IMO.

Well that is awesome! The only other reason to lose barbels that I have heard of is if your cory has been rubbing them on sharp edges while feeding. Your gravel looks rounded, and as you said, the others are doing well.
I have also found, over the last two years, that mine do better with a low current but I have no idea why.
Have you checked your water parameters to make sure all the toxins are low?
Maybe that cory had pre-existing weakness/issues.
My best advice is to try to help him eat. Does anybody else have more ideas?

I have to albino Cory's that suffered really severe fin rot loosing there barbles and all fins and tails, they didn't start swimming like torpedoes until all fins were gone, I would seclude him if you can. I don't know what to try to treat him with though.

I used melafix to treat the fin rot. It took awhile to heal them but they were pretty severe, maybe he had a secondary infection from loosing the whiskers?

I had gotten 5 Panda Cory's from a lfs that seems to be popular and really knows what there doing, however in my care, all the fish I've had have been pretty hardy. And yet I had one die and got him replaced for free. And over the next 2 months. Some fell under extreme fin rot. One had a fungal infection. And slowly 5 died over time with small things wrong here and there. I have one left. And he's healthy like the rest of my fish.

IMO. Cory's just seem to be.... Brittle fish lol. For lack of a better word.

And I had a few lose whiskers. Start healing. And die... Never knew why... Just something they do I guess...

I had gotten 5 Panda Cory's from a lfs that seems to be popular and really knows what there doing, however in my care, all the fish I've had have been pretty hardy. And yet I had one die and got him replaced for free. And over the next 2 months. Some fell under extreme fin rot. One had a fungal infection. And slowly 5 died over time with small things wrong here and there. I have one left. And he's healthy like the rest of my fish.

IMO. Cory's just seem to be.... Brittle fish lol. For lack of a better word.

And I had a few lose whiskers. Start healing. And die... Never knew why... Just something they do I guess...

This is a lot like my experience! I baby them now. Very careful with low flow, plants - floating and rooted, no hyper tank mates, sand only substrate, variety of food.

Lol the last two I had(one of which is still alive)...

Would literally sit. In roughly the same spot. For hours then move and sit. Move and sit.
Untill the sick one died :(. Then the last one all of a sudden became the active happy Cory's I knew when I first got them.

I forgot to update ya'll, but the little guy died a day after the last post on this thread. Although, being a glass half full person I noticed my shrimp fat and happy for another couple days after the Cory passed.

Back
Top Bottom