Help! Gold Severum doesnt look well!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is what my severum looks like i dont know what it is but how can i treat it and what is wrong with it?

can some one please help me!

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 93
Yeeesh, that's bad. Tank stats? Water parameters?? How long has this been developing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

hi i dont have anything to test the water with so i cant give you any parameters but i did a water change about 2 or 3 days ago.

this only started this recently probably this week.

i thought it would go down itself but it hasnt

How big is the tank? What else in it? How old? How much water do you change?

its a 200 litre tank
ive got 2 parrots, pleco and shark, few angels and some other small fishes.

The tank has been running for a good 2/3 years and this is the first time i have seen something like this.
I do between 25 to 50 depending due to me cleaning the gravel

can someone tell me please if this the hole in the head disease as i dont know and this way i can start treating it

thanks

I'm not well versed on the treatment end. I'd lean towards hex but it could be tumors??? I don't know for sure though.

But i just want to know if its hole in the head as i dont know myself this way i can start treating it

Hith is caused by poor water quality and diet. Without knowing parameters it's tough to say. The pics I've seen of hith do not have big protrusions like yours.

If I had a guess (since I've never had much to do with HITH or HLLE - hopefully I got them right), I would go for some sort of viral tumour or growth.

I don't want to suggest a med because this is outside my knowledge.

I would definitely chase up water chemistry results as mentioned above. This closes out tank water but also if tap water may have changed in the last week. (Or does your water conditioner detoxify heavy metals). If tap water is fine, then try a water change.

Also something must of set this off so I'm wondering if anything changed in your tank during the last two weeks. Other questions were if it was getting worse and if there was any pus coming out?

what can i do about my fish now? it still has the white stuff on its face but is now getting popeye i have no clue what to do now and its not eating either.

nothing has changed with the tank or the water this has just recently started to happen to this fish and i have no idea why.

is there any medicine i could use? i was wondering if i could use esha 2000? would that be any good?

Are you UK based?

My suggestion would be metronidazole - what antibiotics can you get?

Note - This won't help if a tumor or viral but will help with internal bacterial infections. This is all happening within a week? Can you QT the fish.

Very clean water (low nitrates) and high quality food to see if he can fight it off himself.

Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Link of fish diseases:

Tropical Fish Disease Identification with pictures and cures.

Edit - sorry, I forgot the not eating part. Is he eating then spitting out or not eating at all?

Hi yes i am in the UK

i dont know what antibiotics i can get. The thing is the fish is not eating anymore so i dont know what to do how will the METRONIDAZOLE help as i need to put it in flake food?

Also wouldnt the esha 2000 not help? Also how would i tell if it is a tumour or viral?

im thinking of doing a 40% today other than that i dont know what to do.

Popeye is usually a result of poor water quality. Do some water changing

Only a vet can really say for sure what this is. For myself I can only say that's what the pictures suggest to me and you can see if it matches.

As above, water changes and also water tests - the cleaner you can get the water the better a chance the fish will have. I'd also put in a hospital tank - pop-eye and not eating are both not good signs as you know.

esha 2000 is bit of a catch-all med. It wouldn't be my first choice.

Metro works better in medicated fish food but it will work dosed into the water. It's normally also very safe for fish. Your fish shop may know of an equivalent if you go down that road.

Seachem - MetroPlex

How often will i have to do these water changes and will the fish get better without and medicine?

Thing is i dont have a hospital tank so if anything i will have to leave it in there. But i do have a 20litre bucket which i could put the fish in? I can add a sponge filter and a heater in it?

will the metro plex cure the popeye as well as the white stuff on its face?
If i were to use esha 2000 will it work?

Also i was thinking of doing a tank flush, would that be helpful and work?

thanks

If it is a viral skin infection it may go away by itself. However the pop-eye and not eating suggest a more systematic problem.

Ok, so water changes - twice weekly and around a third of the tank imo. Pick up a water test kit and try to maintain nitrates at 20 or below. A good quality food as well. These are all covering the basic health of the tank and there have been previous threads where just doing water changes has been very effective.

Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

Will the fish get better without medicine? A big ask imo. Will esha 2000 work? Also possible and if that's all you have I would try that.

Hospital bucket sounds fine. An ammonia test kit would be essential.

Hi unfortunately the fish didn't make it �� I saw it swimming early in the day but came downstairs later on to find it dead...

What do you mean a systematic problem?

Do you think it would be wise to flush the tank to get rid of the bacteria and anything else in the water? What do mean by imo?

Would you suggest adding Esha 2000 to make sure no other fish gets ill or would you suggesting something else?

What's your opinion?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom