HELP! Gregory has ich!!!! D:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aqualibrium salt I think u find is exactly what I put. As I use this my self and has found it does exactly what it says. I'm not sure of other salts just my knowledge on the experience I have so if u can explain further in detail would be great I love to learn. Didn't know treatment for cold n tropical vary.

Please take the time to read some of the research posted in the thread below as well some others. Aq salt does nothing for your ph. Marine salt or cichlid salt does. We are not going to go off topic here- this thread is for heelping with Gregorys issues. If you would like to discuss the use of salt of further, please feel free to post your questions in Fw General Discussion.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/is-aquarium-salt-needed-227851.html

Super Belle I could of copied an pasted that from the Internet my self. I'm sure hands on experience n direct knowledge will help most valuable in situations like this :)

I have used it to cure ich my freshwater tank had gotten it after a move that's y I suggested it I'm just trying to help him out by not having to put any chemicals into his tank FYI I posted that to prove a point but you kno haters gonna hate so whatever I won't try and help anymore hope the fish get rid of the ich best of luck to the fish and his owner peace!
If u decide to use salt put it into a cup with a lid with holes punctured into the lid..... Just a tip I learned from a friend who works at a fish store

A top isnt necessary. All of my tanks are open (much to my cats dismay...). The light is pretty just for you unless you plan on plants. A filter though is a must. I would work on getting Greg moved as soon as you can possibly manage. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Lol thanks! I like the light because I like to watch Gregory, I like to sketch him because he just fascinates me so much (I have had betas and aquatic turtles) but I find him so fascinating! But I really think I should have a top! Because I too have a cat and worst of them all, a brother (11) and a sister (7) she really wants to pet him -_- she's aware you don't pet fish but when I was cleaning his tank once he swam into my hand and attempted to keep swimming through it as I vacuumed and she assumed I was petting him! So I keep a close eye on him when she's around he is too high up for her! I had an amazing filter at one point in time but it vanished like my turtle (in a past post I explained what happen to my turtle) but like I said, I'm planing on moving him to my 60 gal after I aquire a filter, proper airation (for a tank if that size) and more silk plants to protect Gregory's beautiful tail that is currently covered in ich :/

I wasn't trying to be horrible with that comment but I read an article silimer if not the same. All knowledge is needed weather accurate or not it's all part of learning so don't hesitate or hold back to post ur views or opinions its all still good advice :) any help better than no help right!

Exactly! I don't mind it at all :) I'm pretty lost so ill listen to seasoned advice or any advice now the one I follow depends on the amount of truth behind it and how logical it is to the situation. :D

Greg is easily treated with salt but the issue is the pleco cant handle this amount of salt. You will need to figure out the best way to approach this. A cheap solution would be to get a 20g storage bin from walmart($5-6) & stick Greg in this with some filtration. Then you can crank the heat up to treat the pleco in the 5g.

I wasn't trying to be horrible with that comment but I read an article silimer if not the same. All knowledge is needed weather accurate or not it's all part of learning so don't hesitate or hold back to post ur views or opinions its all still good advice :) any help better than no help right!

agreed! I know my profile says saltwater but I do and have always had freshwater tanks ranging from mixtures of tetras and betas mixed in same tank to African and South American cichlids as I am truely an aquarist. I rather have a fish tank over a dog or cat lol....... But I have cured ich with the cartons of aquarium salt. I'm not a fan of chemicals

Ah I see! But will the plastic be harmful? :c should the pleco be showing signs of ich too? I've looked him over really well (even his underside when he sticks to the glass) and no ich! Is it just not visible on scaless fish? Or has he not caught it yet?

When you say pleco are u talking about a plecostamus? Cause mine is 6 years old and has been in the salt treatment. Or if it would make you feel better put him in a 5 gal bucket with a bubbler mine survived like that for 5 days during a move from south central Louisiana to San Antonio Texas been here a yr and he is still going strong

agreed! I know my profile says saltwater but I do and have always had freshwater tanks ranging from mixtures of tetras and betas mixed in same tank to African and South American cichlids as I am truely an aquarist. I rather have a fish tank over a dog or cat lol....... But I have cured ich with the cartons of aquarium salt. I'm not a fan of chemicals

Saltwater tanks are beautiful I envy your ability to keep one or more afloat I'm not at that capability yet XD I'm far from it!

Saltwater tanks are beautiful I envy your ability to keep one or more afloat I'm not at that capability yet XD I'm far from it!

Just a lot of chemistry and patience that's all it takes and researching the comparability of they creatures you want to keep as some can pack a powerful sting

When you say pleco are u talking about a plecostamus? Cause mine is 6 years old and has been in the salt treatment. Or if it would make you feel better put him in a 5 gal bucket with a bubbler mine survived like that for 5 days during a move from south central Louisiana to San Antonio Texas been here a yr and he is still going strong

Yep! I have a clown plecostamus, a dwarf breed of pleco (but not by much!) he is an inch long at this moment but he will spring up before I know it! San Antonio! Hey :) I'm from Corpus Christi! Small world! :)

Yep! I have a clown plecostamus, a dwarf breed of pleco (but not by much!) he is an inch long at this moment but he will spring up before I know it! San Antonio! Hey :) I'm from Corpus Christi! Small world! :)

Yea I wanna go to corpus and see what I can find to add to my saltwater aquarium I love the ugly lil hermits for some reason

The amount of salt it takes to cure ich in goldfish is detrimental to plecos. Separating them is the best approach IMO.

I agree as the pleco is small I'd take him out and keep him in a diff tank or place him in a container with a bubbler you can always feed him the algae disks while he is in a seperate container

Ah I see! But will the plastic be harmful? :c should the pleco be showing signs of ich too? I've looked him over really well (even his underside when he sticks to the glass) and no ich! Is it just not visible on scaless fish? Or has he not caught it yet?

The plec is the likely responsible party. Just because you dont see obvious signs of it doesnt mean he doesnt have it. Fish can carry ich in their gills where it is not readily obvious. As its in your tank now, the tank and fish both need to be treated appropriately.

I have a one gallon with a bubble air stone thing, my aunt had a betta in it for like 8 years till she got her gallon of water mixed up with a gallon of tap :/ no more betta it's really really small and diamond shaped, will it be okay for him? What about transitioning him back?

The plec is the likely responsible party. Just because you dont see obvious signs of it doesnt mean he doesnt have it. Fish can carry ich in their gills where it is not readily obvious. As its in your tank now, the tank and fish both need to be treated appropriately.

Yeah it's what I suspected, but I was assuming it was in an incubative state with the pleco, so treating both leaves the salt out of the equation? What about the tablet I've used to treat him? It also turned the water blue? And I took out the carbon pad from his filter as the intructions said, so?

Back
Top Bottom