Help! Grey patches on gills!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
75 gallon been running for 6 months, was upgrade from established 20 gallon

Readings 0,0,25 ph 7.6

Had the fish for 3 weeks

She is a female macmasteri and there are 2 other larger males

Planted with 1 angelfish baby, pearl gourami, honey gourami x2, neons, threadfin rainbow, paska rainbow, 1 BN pleco, 1 queen arabesque pleco

All other fish appear healthy

The redness you see I believe is just her coloring ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422011212.471929.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422011226.308020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, thanks. It's a little hard to tell.

Has the fish been flashing around the gills or been in any fights or gotten injuries around the gills? Was there anything that had changed in the tank when it started or anything done to the tank around the same time?

Is the grey patch coming out from the gills or on top of/behind the gill cover? Is it fuzzy/furry above the scales or more like a lesion replacing scales? Is it getting worse or better?

Is the fish behaving normally / eating or clamping the gills, going to the surface? Any other details?

Water change schedule? I'd suggest increasing pwc schedule and make sure the change water is temp matched to tank.

My suspicion would be a bacterial infection but my question would be if that is secondary to something else that stressed the fish or that spot and allowed it to get started. So trying to nut out the cause with the questions although the product below will cover bacterial and fungal.

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=htt...atment-zid36-5016503/cat-36-catid-300044?null

She is qt and I'm treating with bifuran. There is a possibility that she was being bullied by the 2nd male who I am going to bring to the lfs this weekend. I'm goung to treat for 2 days and them return her to the main tank and treat that tank with a small amount of salt.

She has a good relationship with the larger male but the 2nd chases her. I am going to hope this was stress related. She had paired with larger male so I really hope she pulls thru. Hard to find females around here...

Imo I'd leave her in QT then for longer and let her recover if you can. Just let her de-stress and heal after treatment. Good luck!

If it is bacterial, then it could easily get a secondary fungal infection so I'd watch the patch still for a week even if it looks good.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422074311.686344.jpg
This her before she was sickly...see the same spot is white? Is that just her coloring?

The white appeared on her head overnight. I've put her back in the main tank and dosed with marycyn plus. She's eating now with no clamped fins. Readings are 0,010

I feel like she was more stressed in the QT and I was told marycyn plus is ok for display tanks...keeping my fingers crossed.

The white appeared on her head overnight. I've put her back in the main tank and dosed with marycyn plus. She's eating now with no clamped fins. Readings are 0,010

I feel like she was more stressed in the QT and I was told marycyn plus is ok for display tanks...keeping my fingers crossed.

Gack! What happened to the furan 2? Was that making no difference at all?

From your description it sounds a bacterial infection. Is that what you are seeing as well? I'm sorry for lots of questions but we seem to be skipping around a bit here with meds. If it is a bacterial infection, then it can easily jump to other fish so I'd put her back in QT.

It doesn't look fungal to me, what about to you? I've put notes below. I raise this because if it is fungal then neither of those meds will help.

Fungal infections ime progress to cover the fish from entry point. The fungus doesn't jump to other parts of the fish (it just spreads). If the fins are touching a fungal infection on the body then it can spread to the fins even though the fins may look otherwise fine.

Only one fish at a time tends to be infected whereas bacterial can be multiple with quick deaths.

Fungus is furry or fuzzy above the fish scales (although may be more like a white mold skin in early or retreating stages). In progressed stages, tank debris can get trapped in it.

One other question is was the fish flashing around the gills before it started at all? If yes, it may indicate there were gill parasites and the bacterial infection is secondary to that.

Has your tank temp fluctuated? A temp increase can encourage bacterial infections, a decrease fungal.

Meds - any antibiotic which treats gram positive bacteria tends to knock the nitrifying bacteria population down. Examples are tetracycline or erythromycin.

Furan 2 and I believe marycyn plus should be ok but I need to go check.

Oops, maybe told a lie. Assuming I have the right ingredients I'd check for ammonia (not a bad idea with any meds treatment).

The sulpha part of the med should be fine, I've used that with no issues for fish or tank. The trimethoprim might be an issue. See below, still checking.

-----------------

Trimethoprim is found in:
*Mardel Maracyn Plus (contains Sulfamethazine and Trimethoprim).

*Can be very harsh to nitrifying bacteria in an aquarium, do not over dose and use only in well established aquariums.
*Can cause Thrombocytopenia (lowering of blood platelets), so this is a poor choice if fish have large wounds or are suffering from septicemia. A better choice then would be a pure Sulfa product or other medication combination.

Back
Top Bottom