Help help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYCAF95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good evening all.....

I have a issue..I'm a new aquarium owner. I have has my set up for a little over a month. The water parameters are fine. I check them every other day and all is good ( API Master,kit).

Two days ago I lost a Glofish Danio, today I found a neon tetra dead...now I have one of my Dalmation Mollies swimming at the bottom not moving and these little white spots ( they look white ) on the body and fins. Also one of the neon tetras looks like it has white spot too. Is the the "ich" if so, how do I treat it so I don't have a cemetery on my hands.

image-3247772681.jpg

Buy a product called Quick Cure. Do what it says on the bottle. Cured my ich in about two days! Good luck!

Higher temps around 90 degrees will kill it off too it can't live in the higher temp I think I've heard of some people going higher than 90 but I'd read on it first

i got rid of mine with the heat and salt method. my reading told me that ich can't reproduce over 85. you should raise your temp slowly over a day to 86 and add salt. i only added a half cup to my 55 gallon. lot of people do more but i'd let someone else chime in on how much salt.

mine went away in 2 days. i did water change every other day with a good vac to get out as much of the ich out as possible.

the higher temps will speed the lifecycle of the ich and it should fall off the fish pretty quick.

its up to you how long but you should keep the temp and water changes up for at least a week if not 2 to make sure because it can come back. i kept mine up for about 10 days. then slowly bring their temp back down.

if you can avoid meds it is better.

i got rid of mine with the heat and salt method. my reading told me that ich can't reproduce over 85. you should raise your temp slowly over a day to 86 and add salt. i only added a half cup to my 55 gallon. lot of people do more but i'd let someone else chime in on how much salt. mine went away in 2 days. i did water change every other day with a good vac to get out as much of the ich out as possible. the higher temps will speed the lifecycle of the ich and it should fall off the fish pretty quick. its up to you how long but you should keep the temp and water changes up for at least a week if not 2 to make sure because it can come back. i kept mine up for about 10 days. then slowly bring their temp back down. if you can avoid meds it is better.

What kind of salt.. Not trying to sound stupid but I don't have another tank to put the fish in, so is this a method I can do with the fish in the tank??

What kind of salt.. Not trying to sound stupid but I don't have another tank to put the fish in, so is this a method I can do with the fish in the tank??

So long as you don't have salt sensitive fish such as loaches and cories, aquarium salt (any salt that has no additives) is fine.
Ich is one problem I haven't had to deal with (yet) so I can't give any advice. It can get really bad really quick though, so hit it early and hit it hard. Good luck!

not straight table salt. any kind of salt that doesn't have additives in it. straight sodium chloride natural sea salt or you can get just aquarium salt at the store. a thing of either is no more than a few bucks.

mollies don't need it but they should have some salt in their tank anyways. i'd add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons . i've always kept some salt in my tanks. it can be beneficial

when you do your water changes you need to replace the salt you took out.

+1 Mumma of two i cured ich in my tank with just the heat method and would definitely use this method again.

To treat ich: Raise the temp to 86-88f. No less than 86. 90 is too high. Increase aeration. The higher the temp the less oxygen the water holds. Increase water change and gravel vacs. Leave the temp up for at least one week after the last spot is seen. Medication and salt is not usually needed. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Thank you....hear currently at 87 and I did a 50% water change???added a air stone mad vacuumed the substrate.... Let's see what happens... Thank you all for the advice...

Soooooo....update:

Lost 2 Neon Tetras and the Dalmation Molly today....the other fish seem to be doing better and are being more active......

Soooooo....update: Lost 2 Neon Tetras and the Dalmation Molly today....the other fish seem to be doing better and are being more active......

Lost another Neon Tetra and the other Dalmation Molly....... So sad that I can't do anything else but wait..did gravel vac.....clean tank.....25% water change and heat to 87 .....went with API Ich cure.....the others seem ok.....FOR NOW....still have the following:

6 Green Glofish Tetras
2 Glofish Danios
1 neon Tetra
I goupie
3 Kuhli loaches
1 Albino Pleco

Second dose of med tomorrow afternoon... Hope the rest will be ok...already lost 5 neon Tetras, 2 Dalmation Mollies and 1 Glofish Danio

Lost another Neon Tetra and the other Dalmation Molly....... So sad that I can't do anything else but wait..did gravel vac.....clean tank.....25% water change and heat to 87 .....went with API Ich cure.....the others seem ok.....FOR NOW....still have the following:

6 Green Glofish Tetras
2 Glofish Danios
1 neon Tetra
I goupie
3 Kuhli loaches
1 Albino Pleco

Second dose of med tomorrow afternoon... Hope the rest will be ok...already lost 5 neon Tetras, 2 Dalmation Mollies and 1 Glofish Danio

I'm sorry for your losses. It's hard to deal with the feeling that you're helpless to save them. I hope the medication prevents any further deaths.

Back
Top Bottom