Help help help help help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey I posted a thread before, but I don't think the heat treatment is helping at all, it is at 85-90 degress and i'm afraid to boost it anymore. My GBR is swimming fine, eating fine, acting the same, comes up to the aquarium everytime I step into the room. It's just he has all these white dots on him.

Help me please.

Here is a picture of the adorable thing.

DSCN1065.jpg

Help!!!

The heat treatment causes the lifecycle of the ich to go faster, which you probably know. Knowing this, that means it's going to get worse before it gets better.

If he's still swimming, eating, he'll probably be okay. Make sure you have plenty of aeration in the tank, and all you can really do at this point is wait it out.

You'll want to get a good accurate thermometer. I use a digital one from the kitchen/home store. If the water temperatures are 85-86 degrees, the ich lifecycle will progress faster, like neilanh says, and you'll see lots of spots. To kill the ich, the temperature has to be 87-88 degrees. It does look bad before it gets better, but make sure your temperatures are high enough to kill the ich. The fish will be fine at those temperatures, but do make sure you have a bit more aeration/splashing from your filter in the tank as neilanh suggested. Warmer water holds less oxygen, but by aerating the water a bit, you'll be allowing more oxygen from the room air to get into the water.

If you want my opinion on what I'd do and what I have done before I'd tell you to stop wasting time with the heat treatment and dose "Quick Cure" for three days straight. I just did that 3 or so weeks ago in my Endler tank and it was gone in less on the 4th day! It didn't kill any of the fish and I had fry that were just hours old when I dosed initially. That GBR is a good quality one from what I can tell and they aren't as fragile as others would have you believe. It will easily survive the treatment. Just my two cents. -Bryan

I too have cured fish with ich with the heat treatment. Antiasg is right on how to deal with the treatment. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom