Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to jmoores
Help I think my fish has columnaris!

I have a tank full of female betas and on one this morning her dorsal fin was not looking very good so i took her out and put her in a quarantine tank and gave her Maracyn. Then I noticed that another female had some signs so I put her in the same quarantine tank that already had the Maracyn in it. My question is do they have columnaris or something else? and what should I do with the other 3 females I still have in the tank they are showing no signs of it at all? and is that fungus (or whatever it is) going to be in my gravel and plants? Should I clean them/replace them?

This is the first female I noticed.

Then I think she might have it as well

Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I am afraid to say that it does look like columnaris. Keep up the treatment and remember to remove the carbon from the filter. You could lower the temp of the tank slightly to slow the progression of the disease a bit. Also make sure to have an airstone in the tank. Oxygen will help the fish some. If it isn't columnaris it is still a bacterial infection by the looks of it and the treatment will be the same.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #3

Ok thanks I have a couple more questions though (sorry). Should I treat all the fish that were in the tank or just the ones that have it (the others don't look like they have it). Also I have been using Maracyn, will that work or should I also try Maracyn-Two. Or maybe you could recommend something that would work better for them. Thank you very much.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Please do not apologize for questions. You should have seen what all I asked when I first started here!

I would stick with the Maracyn. What are your other tankmates? Columnaris is contagious, but I would do a larger water change on the main tank and keep a very close eye on the other fish.

Adding some aquarium salt is also a good idea. Columnaris doesn't like, salt, oxygen or lower temperatures. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #5

It is a female betta tank. I removed the 2 fish that were showing columnaris and put them in a quarantine tank and the other 3 are still in the larger tank after do a large partial water change and cleaning all the ornaments, plants and gravel. I did also add aquarium salt to the tank and a air stone as well. So I just want to get it straight you think I should just watch them and if any of them show signs I should treat them? Also you mentioned that I should lower the water temperature. What should it be at? I normally keep my tank at 78 degrees. Thank you once again.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the help one died this morning but the other seems to be doing better or at least not worse, but now I think that my main tank has ich if you could look at my other post on that it would be great. Thanks

The other post is at My fish had columnaris but I think they have ich now!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry for your one loss. I hope the other does better.

-----------
Site Administrator

Tags
column, columnaris

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com