Help I think my fish has columnaris!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoores

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank full of female betas and on one this morning her dorsal fin was not looking very good so i took her out and put her in a quarantine tank and gave her Maracyn. Then I noticed that another female had some signs so I put her in the same quarantine tank that already had the Maracyn in it. My question is do they have columnaris or something else? and what should I do with the other 3 females I still have in the tank they are showing no signs of it at all? and is that fungus (or whatever it is) going to be in my gravel and plants? Should I clean them/replace them?

This is the first female I noticed.
img_853274_0_2ffe5d00f5d285661a229bfcd03d8adf.jpg

img_853274_1_7f4f879a3cf7747bb4a01766605efef2.jpg

Then I think she might have it as well

img_853274_2_062d7d954cde03270fd2d98ddb94ef86.jpg

img_853274_3_da4563d128897c8b9480842c0f6ab929.jpg

I am afraid to say that it does look like columnaris. Keep up the treatment and remember to remove the carbon from the filter. You could lower the temp of the tank slightly to slow the progression of the disease a bit. Also make sure to have an airstone in the tank. Oxygen will help the fish some. If it isn't columnaris it is still a bacterial infection by the looks of it and the treatment will be the same.

Ok thanks I have a couple more questions though (sorry). Should I treat all the fish that were in the tank or just the ones that have it (the others don't look like they have it). Also I have been using Maracyn, will that work or should I also try Maracyn-Two. Or maybe you could recommend something that would work better for them. Thank you very much.

Please do not apologize for questions. You should have seen what all I asked when I first started here!

I would stick with the Maracyn. What are your other tankmates? Columnaris is contagious, but I would do a larger water change on the main tank and keep a very close eye on the other fish.

Adding some aquarium salt is also a good idea. Columnaris doesn't like, salt, oxygen or lower temperatures. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

It is a female betta tank. I removed the 2 fish that were showing columnaris and put them in a quarantine tank and the other 3 are still in the larger tank after do a large partial water change and cleaning all the ornaments, plants and gravel. I did also add aquarium salt to the tank and a air stone as well. So I just want to get it straight you think I should just watch them and if any of them show signs I should treat them? Also you mentioned that I should lower the water temperature. What should it be at? I normally keep my tank at 78 degrees. Thank you once again.

Back
Top Bottom