Help! I think my loach has ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have a 75g set up with 22 fish in it. All have been doing fine. Yesterday, I notice a white dot on my clown loach but it just looked like a grain of sand(that is our substrate). Today, I got a good look at him and he has 3 white dots on him. I cannot see any spots on my other fish. Should I qt just him or should I treat the entire tank? Could other fish have it, but it's just not showing yet? I'm just a little nervous because we had ich go through our 29 gallon a couple months back and it wiped out 3/4 of the tanks inhabitants and the medication messed up our entire cycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is ich. The whole tank is infected. It does sound like it. The best course of action would be to raise the temperature to over 86F. Do it gradually and be sure to increase your aeration in the tank as warmer water holds less O2. Leave the tempoerature elevated until two weeks after the last sign of ich is gone.

Ok, clown loaches get ich a little easier than most fish. I woulden't treat with medication, do the heat treatment. Turn your het up to 86-87 degrees. This should clear up the ich. Slowly turn it up until all signs are gone, then keep the heat up for a week or so as a precaution. Then slowly turn it back to your original temp.

Okay, I have been very slowly turning up the temperature over the last day. At this point it is only at 82 degrees. Should I be turning it up faster? Either way, Yesterday when I went home, the one loach had 4 spots and the other had one spot. This morning I looked at them and I can't find any spots on them?!? Would this mean that that the ich has broken out of the cysts on the fish? I've added some aeration stones to help with the oxygen level. Is there anything else I should be doing? Everyone seems to be happy and they all still have great appetites.

By the way, thank you for everyones help! :)

Since no one has it badly I would just keep raising the temperature slowly. My tomorrow should be at 86.

Back
Top Bottom