HELP! I think my rainbow shark could be ill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently witnessed my rainbow shark 'scratching' himself on rocks and other objects. He isnt doing it all the time, but every now and then he will swim slowly close to a rock, and then kind of dart past it, just grazing his body on as he passes.

I have read about ich, could this be the case? Other than this scratching, he seems perfectly happy, lovely dark colour, bright fins, eating well, defending its territory, as normal. It has no white spots, however i have read about it attacking inside the gills? This does seem to be the area of the body that it grazes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i dont wanna lose the little guy!

What you describe is called "flashing". He has an itch, and that's the only way he can scratch it. Ich will result in flashing, as will poor water quality, sudden changes in water chemistry and any number of other parasites or infections. What are your water parameters?

It could be any number of things. Your water parameters as suggested are the first step in figuring out what is wrong.

im at work at the moment, so i cant tell you exactly. Last time i tested (a few days ago) they were: NH3 0ppm, NO2- 0ppm, NO3- 10-20ppm. It seems to be very stable, these are the results every time i test, which is normally every 3 days. I was about to stop testing this regularly, as i feel the conditions are stable. Thanks for your help.

I have just done some water testing, here are the results:
NH3 - 0ppm
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 10ppm

I called my lfs and asked them about it, they didnt seem overly sure, but recommended treating with melafix. Which i have done.

With no external signs it is difficult to say, as a precautionary measurement you may want to raise the heat to 86-87 F slowly. I don't believe that will harm your plants. If I am wrong someone will chime in. Heat treatment can quickly kill ich. Keep a close eye on them as ich will spread quicker while the heat is going up until it hits 86.

Your water parameters are fine, so no problems there. Sounds like it may be a sign of ich, which is why he is flashing. I would start raising your temperature up to 86F. Better safe than sorry, and best to catch the problem before it progresses.

Melafix is an antibacterial treatment. I would discontinue using it for now. If you would like, you can dose it after you are done the heat treatment, to combat any secondary infections.

HTH

Thanks for your help so far. I have upped the temp a couple of degrees and stopped for now, by 'slowly', do you mean over a period of a couple of days?

Thanks, and will all my fish be ok with this?? I have looked at some websites, and found this:

zebra loach - 73 - 81F
D Gouramis - 70 - 88F
cherry barbs - 72 - 82F
Rainbow shark - 72 -80F
dont know about my rubbernose plec

What will the effects on my fish be of rainsing to 86 - 87F? Surely they will not like this!?

And one more thing, how long should i leave the temp at 86F? I read 2weeks?!

Your fish will be ok. Be sure to add more aeration warmer holds less O2. You need to keep it at 86 for two weeks after the last sign of disease.

cool, yeah, i have just found an article about ich and heat treatment, quite interesting. I think i will increase a bit more now, its been a few hours.

Im still miffed though, there is no wounds, spots or fungus on any of my fish! :?

Thanks for your help!

Ich can show up so small, and initally as only a minor irritation, that you won't be able to see it. It seems your fish can sure feel it though. :)

The fish will be fine with the heat treatment.

Good luck

I havnt seen my rainbow shark 'flashing' today, but i havnt been watching for long, the temp is currently 84F (i have been slowly upping it over the past two days). But my rainbow shark has a small white mark above his ventral fin, on one side, doesnt seem to be itching it, but it hasnt been there long.

Before i go to bed i will up the temp again, and by 2moro i should reach 86F. Still only the rainbow shark that seems to be affected, im assuming i dont have too much time before it spreads.

ARGH! Thismorning i went to check the temp, it was about 84F, so i went to up it a bit a bit more, and found that my thermostat was on full! It wont go up anymore!! I think im going to have to buy a new one! But that wont be untill later tonight........

Right, i purchased a new thermostat, but then discovered that it would heat to a max of 84F, like my current one. So i took it back and spoke to one of the workerds at the lfs about my rainbow shark. He recommended a treatment for parasites, and im fairly confident it will work, he seemed to know what he was talking about.

As an update on the condition of the shark; this afternoon i noticed some small faint white marks on his body. Its not like white spot, they are faint looking and seem like they are affecting single scales on the fish's body. I know what white spot looks like, so im pretty certain its not that. The man i spoke to said that 'flashing' is almost always a result of parasites, so recommended me a treatment.
It made my water a bit blue to start with, buts its gone now, lets hope it does the job!

Back
Top Bottom