Help identifying illness!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielle b

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My boyfriends fish started getting this white cloudy coating over his eyes about a few weeks ago. He won’t eat and has been bumping into things and just floating around anyone know what this could be???

Attachments

• 7B8E0087-CAA0-44FC-83F2-65103BD4FAC3.jpg
    7B8E0087-CAA0-44FC-83F2-65103BD4FAC3.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 75
  • 58ADBE95-4CCD-4EE9-9CDA-B8EA1852952F.jpg
    58ADBE95-4CCD-4EE9-9CDA-B8EA1852952F.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 77
How old is the fish? Was there a ph drop at all. Maybe from adding something to the tank. And has there been any new fish added?

A couple years old.new gravel and fake plants.the ph was good. No new fish

If just one eye infected, the cloudyness might be a result of an injury. If both eyes are infected, likely a bacterial infection. The symptom is labeled "Pop Eye". There is really no solid cure for
this type of disease, other than pristine water conditions. You might try an antibiotic med, but chances are slim for recovery.

I have a similar Acara .
I think it is an issue for the individual fish [genes ].
I have 6 others that I got with him and they along with all tank mates 1 1/2 years later are unaffected .
The acara actually appears to be going bling in other eye.
Mine eats and bumps into things but is not ill.
As for your fish , it does look like that eye is 'lost' for lack of better words and likely no treatment will repair it .
The not eating could be another symptom of some illness.
I'll add like V that both eyes are usually bacterial and it looks like both eyes are in bad shape .

Test the water and make sure to keep it in safe levels.

You can read the info on the nitrification process and how to keep good water conditions, etc in the new to fish article in my signature link.

You might consider trying Furan - 2.

Hey, I was wondering something, you might wanta check in to. I know some betta fish and a few others like mollys get scales that grow over the eyes. I didn't think of this until I got involved on another post with a betta. I have a jet black molly with scales over his eyes but his eyes are just as black as his body. I would think some fish could have little color on the eyes than the body. Just a little research for you to check into. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom