HELP! I'm freaking out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my large show tank, I just noticed a "newer" fish has white all around its mouth. It's a black Molly so it's quite noticeable. I'm pretty sure it's Columnarius (cotton wool disease), but I have never had to deal with this particular fish disease before. So I NEED HELP and advice.

I'm freaking out because this tank contains 2 large beautiful supervail angels, 2 ropefish, 2 African butterfly's, and a pair of German blue rams. I had added a few Molly's to help with algae.

Can I add salt with rams and butterflys?
Will Melafix help?
What do I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would pull out the affected fish and do a series of large water changes to drop the nitrates to 5 or less. Lower nitrate levels help bolster a fishes immune system allowing it to work at peak efficiency.

With the fish that's already sick I would put it in a hospital tank and treat it with either maracyn plus or furan 2. Some salt if you want to add it as well couldn't hurt as long as its not a species that's sensitive to salt.

Melafix in the display tank would be good as long as you don't have corys, bettas, or gourami. Dont however use it to attempt to treat something, its really only good as a prophylactic.

Back
Top Bottom