Help! I'm new and my betta's popped??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JodiLynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hate to join and go straight to the help page but im desprate! my betta (pickles) has been bloated for about 2 weeks, he has been acting fine, eating, swimming, all the things he usually does, but just unusually large, we've tryed feeding him peas, and it hasnt done anything..
we asked a few fish people at some petstores and they all said he had a tumor and that he would just live with it and he'd be fine BUT
tonight we got home, and his belly wasnt swollen anymore, and upon looking closer he was actually almost, like , concaved, where the big belly used to be. the skin was all saggy and we looked even closer and he's got I THINK a hole in the bottom of him as if his belly "popped" and white puss is comming out of it, his gills around his neck are darker than normal and hes really sicky acting. I have NO idea what to do does anyone have any ideas????? thank you so much!

OMG. Sounds like something off Alien. I hope someone gets back to you on this soon as the responses lately seem alot slower and fewer than usual :eek:(

yea me too!

:???:i thought for sure someone would know something here, and get back to me sooner...
i woke up this morning and last night i had taken the other betta that shares the sick ones take out and just kept the sick one in there quanrentened (sp?) and he's still alive.. i think hes having trouble breathing though.. there is still white stuff comming out of his belly .. i really have no idea at this point. so i hope i hope i hope!

Hmm I'm afraid it doesnt sound like he has long left. I thought people usually gave helpful advice very quickly on here but lately it seems not to be the case. Myself and another poster have had to euthanase due to lack of replies recently. I hope its just a temporary thing and that lots of people are just on holiday or something.

I don't know how you would mix it but I've heard that saltwater treatment might be beneficial. I may be wrong so don't go and dip your fish in some saltwater! I just saw this post and the lack of replies and tried reading up a bit.

Only thing I could find with "betta+white+puss" on google is listed below, this instance seems more like a wound, but it might be worth a read.

a white puss like wound? - Aquariums Forum - GardenWeb

Best of luck!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, JodiLynn, and I'm sorry to hear about your betta. From some of the symptoms you describe, the betta may have internal parasites. A sunken belly is one sign, and when you say he has white stuff coming out of his belly, is it white, stringy poop? This is another sign of internal parasites.

If you had another betta in the same tank (hope it is a divided tank!) then the other betta may have the parasites too. Watch him closely for the same signs as the first betta is showing.

Try some of these medications:

Aquarium Fish Medications: Jungle Labs Parasite Clear

Medicated Aquarium Fish Food: Jungle Labs Medicated Fish Foods

Aquarium Fish Medications: Aquarium Solutions PraziPro

If your betta is eating, try the Jungle anti-parasite food. It's a big pellet, so you'll have to soak it in some tank water to make it softer for the betta, and you'll have to cut it smaller, about the same size as his daily pellet food.

Otherwise, try the other meds. They should be available at the lfs.

to continue ANTI's post,

i had a couple of fish (1 black moly, 2 gupy, 1 platy) that showed me EXACT SAME symptoms as yours

AKA
first few days (3-12 depending on cases) they had a ginormous belly
--- i said to myself they are females, and they might be gestant... so i did not interfere

in all the meanwhile they were pooping long white strings, sometimes with undigested food
--- i said to myself they eat a lot, which is good because they are pregnant, so i did not interfere

theyr tummy went from concave to convex,
--- i said to myself they must have given birth, so i did not interfere

BANG
moly dies
1 gupy dies (2 days later)
1 platy dies (2 more days later)

2 other fish show EXACT same parasitic problems.
i tried a parasite clear 6-7 days ago,
but after a while i looked carefuly at the box and i realised that they were JUST extermal parasites

4 days ago i tried "jungle labs ICH clear" and one of the new infected fish started eating (did major PWC's in between)

today i've put some "jungle labs fungus clear", my cory cats (that were un affected before) started acting funny, so i got them out of the tank.
the remaining platy's that had the white patch over theyr branches exit are now swimming more active.

but honestly i am pretty sure the internal parasites are still there.

(sidenote, all fish started eating ferociously after the parasite clear ... today's treatment ... including the ones with convex belly)

sidenote2, do not be upset if people do not answer fast, it's the holidays period.

well thanks everyone..

but unfortunately when i got home just an hour ago, pickles had gone to fishy heaven... :( i do think it was the internal parisite thing though.. he did have a tank mate (toki) but it was a divided tank and as soon as he started showing strange signs we took toki completely out of the tank.. so he seems to be okay.. *sigh* but i really appreciate everyones comments, thanks

Hi JodiLynn ~
I just wanted to say I was sorry you lost your betta. I, too, joined this forum when my betta was showing signs of internal parasites. He never bloated though, just the white stringy poop. Anyway, I am so sorry for your loss. Also, I am another North Carolinian and wanted to say hello! I am near Winston Salem!

Ive just realised that a Pleco I had last year displayed just the same symptoms and died. I had put it down to water quality but now Im not so sure...

but unfortunately when i got home just an hour ago, pickles had gone to fishy heaven... :( i do think it was the internal parisite thing though.. he did have a tank mate (toki) but it was a divided tank and as soon as he started showing strange signs we took toki completely out of the tank.. so he seems to be okay.. *sigh* but i really appreciate everyones comments, thanks

very very sorry for your loss

yesterday i lost a neon too, so i know how you feel

JodieLynn, I'm very sorry for your loss :(

MisticX, I'm sorry too.

I know how it feels when a fish dies despite your best efforts. :(

I have never heard of anything like this. It's kind of weird. But yes all fish will go to fishy heaven sooner or later. So all you got to do is get over it and move on and buy a new fishy :) lol

I have never heard of anything like this. It's kind of weird. But yes all fish will go to fishy heaven sooner or later. So all you got to do is get over it and move on and buy a new fishy :) lol

aww ... it's not like that ...

you want to do the best for your fishies ... not kill em straight

Back
Top Bottom