Help! Is my Fiddler Crab sick or stressed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scteel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi – I am brand new to the hobby and foolishly listened to the 14 year olds at Petco when I bought a female fiddler crab. Before I get yelled at, I was told at Petco that she lives under water all the time as she has gills. After I reached at home (I know I should have done that first) I learned she needs a dry land spot. I added a magnetic turtle island (5 inch x 5 inch) in the corner and lowered the water level of the tank. I used a bamboo plant as a ladder. I have seen her climb up and down and rest on the island several times. The tank is also brackish as I added 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt to the tank when I started it 7 months ago. When I do a water change, I added in the appropriate amount of salt.

For 3 weeks she seemed happy and healthy. She would move gently from spot to spot, scavenger through the sand, sit under the river rocks, etc. 3 days ago she started running her claws over her body. It looked as if she was trying to scratch herself. For the past 2 days she has been frantically walking from side to side, against the glass and trying to climb up the tank wall. She doesn’t stop at all. Last night, she did stop briefly to eat a blood worm and then went right back to frantic mode. I have seen her walk up the bamboo ladder and to the dry island 3 times, but she only stays out of the water for a few seconds and goes right back down.

The tank is essentially 9 gallons (after lowering the water level) and I have one male betta and two tiny bumblebee gobies. The parameters are:

Ammonia – 0
Ph. – 7.5
Nitrite – .5
Nitrate – 0
KH - 30
Water hardness – 60 – I only use bottled spring water for the tank

The substrate is sand and I have several live plants and 3 marimo moss balls which she used sit atop and munch on. I feed the fish a good variety of food and have seen her eating bits of freeze dried blood worms, frozen blood worms, freeze dried brine shrimp and algae wafers. I usually soak the food in Vitachem as well.

Anyone know what’s going on with her? Is she molting? I realize made an ignorant mistake purchasing her, but she will surely die if I return her to Petco. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

The first thing that comes to mind is the tank at petco was fresh water and she’s having a rough transition. Did you climatize her to the salt? Also is there any copper in any of the product you put in you tank? Maybe you use API Leaf Zone for the moss balls and plants?

Copper is unsafe for most, if not all, inverts

Thanks for the reply!

The kid at Petco said they salt their tanks - not sure how much they use and I only climatized her to the water temp before placing her in the tank. Also, I'm not sure about the copper, but i don't think so.I'll have to double check all labels when I get home.

Thanks for the reply!

The kid at Petco said they salt their tanks - not sure how much they use and I only climatized her to the water temp before placing her in the tank. Also, I'm not sure about the copper, but i don't think so.I'll have to double check all labels when I get home.

No worries, hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply!

How’s she doing? Any updates?

Back
Top Bottom