Help! Is this a parasite? Black spot disease, maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's a picture, sorry for the bad quality

I purchased this honey gourami, Papaya, on Nov. 13th from the Wet Spot in Portland, OR. A few days ago, I noticed he had what looked like some sort of dark spot imbedded in him. He is not lethargic, still eats, doesn't appear thin...

Not really knowing what to do, I gave him about a 45 second methylene blue bath in a separate container, but then quickly put him back in the tank. Other than that, I haven't done anything else in terms of treatment.

Papaya is currently in a 10 gallon quarantine tank with one other honey gourami and 6 panda cories. My plan was to move the gouramis to my display tank on the 13th, then the cories a week after to spread out the bioload.

I don't have the parameters on hand, but the tank is cycled and 75F.

I have coppersafe, prazipro, paraguard, and salt if any of those would be effective. I didn't want to gamble, and stress him out.

He only had the one spot, and it doesn't seem to be spreading, no one else has anything suspicious.

The gourami looks healthy to me?
If it has something contagious(I don't know?) I would re think moving fish that are in the qt with it now(they could be infected already??)...
Without a test kit waterchanges are the best medicine IMO.

I do have a test kit, just haven't gotten around to it heh. I did a 45% pwc today, and did a 50% pwc last Thursday. The nitrates have been pretty high, so I'm just trying to stay on top of that. No plants in the qt.

I haven't really had too much to deal with in terms of fish disease, so I'm not sure if I'm just jumping to conclusion, etc. I'm not sure if the imbedded dark mark is a tumor, parasite or what. It hasn't gotten any bigger or smaller since I've noticed. It hasn't spread to other parts of its body or to other fish. It's just that one spot. There doesn't appear to be anything on his scales or protruding from the area.

Since its safe and won't upset the bb, I was thinking of putting prazipro in their food. Any other precautions I should take? My 29 gallon display tank is healthy, but not sure if I should put the gouramis in there after 1 full month qt, or wait it out a little.

Sometimes spots are just coloring?
As for the prazi it is safe but make sure to do full treatment if you use any med.
If you just added the gourami in pic to the QT then I would wait 1 more week before moving everyone to the 29.
There are other fish in the 29 right?
My last step for QT is to add 1 fish from tank new fish are going to for 1 week to expose the new fish to anything my existing fish may have...
Hope this helps.

Even if the spot looks like it's underneath the skin? I can only see it on one side of his body when the light shines through him. The gourami has been in the 10 gallon since Nov. 13th. I just wanted to do a whole month qt to keep an eye on things.

Yes! There are other fish in the 29, 9 gold clouds, 2 adult platies and a handful of fry, 11 amano shrimp and 2 assassin snails.

And if I understand right, try to take a fish from the 29 to put into the 10? I'm pretty crappy with the net and in a fairly planted tank, it makes it harder heh.

My main concern was just the possibility of spreading anything to the other fish in the 10 or the 29, which so far doesn't look like anything has happened.

Back
Top Bottom