HELP! I've never had sick fish before!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ethereally

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Cherry Barb - this morning Sriracha was fine, but this evening when I got home he had bubbles on his eyes! He is 3 years old and still eats and swims like he usually has. None of the other fish in the tank have these bubbles!! His eyes are not poking out, but he has bilateral grayish filmy bubbles over his eyes. The bubbles remind me of those bubble eye goldfish. I have never had a disease in my tank before, all my fish are very active and seem to be perfectly healthy (except Sriracha).

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

I wish I knew, but I'd have to take a sample to Petsmart when it opens...

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

10 gallon; 1.5 years. I've had Sriracha for 3 yrs and he was previously housed in a 5 gallon before I upgraded.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

I have a basic glofish aquarium set up with the whisper filter. I also have a large airstone.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
8 fish total. 2 cherry barbs (Sriracha is very large compared to the younger barb), 2 green glofish danios, 2 albino catfish (new), 1 zebra danio, 1 Red-tailed shark (this guy and Sriracha get territorial and sometimes chase each other around)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I just vacuumed the gravel and did a half tank water change along with a filter change all at once last week and it REALLY needed the filter change because of the algae. I usually water change every 2-3 weeks, but only partial water changes.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Sriracha is 3 years old and is the fish I've used to cycle my 5 gal and my 10 gal when they were both new, but that was a very very long time ago...

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

The only new things are the 2 albino catfish. Put them in a week ago.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

No diet changes. Tetrafish flakes

Please help, Sriracha is my favorite and I would hate to lose him!

Thank you so much... I'll post pictures when I figure out how to attach them. I don't usually frequent forums..

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 52
Pop eye.
If it is not an injury then it is bacterial.
A build up of fluid behind the eye is the cause .
Search Pop eye for treatments..
Not all fish recover and often ones that do will become re infected with same issue until finally passing..

Thank you CoralBandit! I researched it a bit and took him in to the store. They agree with your diagnosis and now I'm treating his water with aquarium salts. I don't know what else to do just yet. I had the water tested and there is nothing harmful... I did notice there is a rainbow film on top of the water JUST in the filter. I asked about it and the store rep said to rinse the filter with hot water and it should be fine...

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom