help... long story.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get that, but honestly it is sort of immaterial at this point. The cloudy eyes are from bacterial issues. The growth could have been a fungus growing on it, or it could have been a build up of mucus produced in response to everything that is going on. It also could have been none of those and a totally different issue. I have seen rather similar eye gunk build up when there was a cloudy eye issue. I doubt it is really a separate issue beyond the bacterial troubles that need to be dealt with.

Oops, my post got a little funny because I responded to an older version of yours. Sorry about that.

So, for now, go ahead and do heat/salt to treat everything at once and see what happens. I thought your betta would be in more dire straights than he is. He has some good signs that he can recover. Honestly though, you never know. Fingers crossed for him!

Also, the salt might help the other issues going on too. If he gets worse though, you will have to treat the other issues. Normally, I would tell you to go ahead and get some antibiotics for him and treat that way. But, with everything at once, I think a gentle hand to start with might be better. That choice is up to you though.

Just a heads up for the future, albino cories get big for a 10g tank long term. If I was you, I would consider upgrading to a 20g if you can, and keep a 10g quarantine tank to quarantine all new arrivals.

Last edited:
Apart from white spot on the eyes which will drop off, I've also seen larger growths from bacterial infections get knocked off from either fish bumping into stuff or something simple like a water change seeming to dislodge it.

ah okay, thanks angel04 and delapool, and caleb as well, that was pretty much what I wanted to confirm. I'll increase the heat a bit and continue with salt and ich meds, and keep watching. things do seem to be improving.
have to keep an eye on that fin rot...

ah okay, thanks angel04 and delapool, and caleb as well, that was pretty much what I wanted to confirm. I'll increase the heat a bit and continue with salt and ich meds, and keep watching. things do seem to be improving.
have to keep an eye on that fin rot...

Any thoughts on picking up a test kit? If happy with lfs testing no worries, otherwise I'd count it as an essential bit of kit. Just a thought.

oh and... good to know about the cories also! another piece of misleading LFS advice, that they (and many other) fish would all be ine in a 10g. they were all the same size when I got them, but the spotted ones seem to be growing quickly while the albinos have stayed the same. age difference I guess? anyway I would dearly love to upgrade someday, but NOT until I'm more confident that I can keep them alive... heh.

dela--yes, definitely going to get a test kit. just haven't made it quite that far today. it's on my to-do list next trip out for errands!

oh and... good to know about the cories also! another piece of misleading LFS advice, that they (and many other) fish would all be ine in a 10g. they were all the same size when I got them, but the spotted ones seem to be growing quickly while the albinos have stayed the same. age difference I guess? anyway I would dearly love to upgrade someday, but NOT until I'm more confident that I can keep them alive... heh.

dela--yes, definitely going to get a test kit. just haven't made it quite that far today. it's on my to-do list next trip out for errands!

Sounds grand :)

Could be worth checking online as well. Might be a bit cheaper (even from the same fish shop if they have an online sales website as part of the store).

yeah, I'm definitely gonna resort to looking online... just made rounds to the places near me and literally none of them had anything worth getting. just strips and overpriced kits that were missing some important/basic stuff.
(any you would recommend?)

For me I started with the API freshwater test kit (covers ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and ph).

Then I picked up a kh/gh test kit as my water is soft (particularly low in kh) however the API test kit I find a good starting point. After a while, I don't test for everything all the time - only if I do a major tank change or filter clean.

so... this morning, betta's belly is bloated and pale, and tiny specks of white fuzz on face... still alive and eating and swimming, though... beginning of dropsy? (no obvious pinecone scales, yet) bacterial infection? is it time to isolate and treat...? or lay off the ich meds and treat whole tank for bacterial infection?

Yes, suspiciously like bacterial. What meds (and ingredients) have you got in tank at moment? Also what is temp? Got any furan or triple sulpha or medicated foods?

Last check was is all ich gone and for how long?

Sorry, have to re-read but early here.

Bettas are quite prone to bloating up. It could be from over eating (hopefully), or it could indicate an internal bacterial infection. The pinecone appearance on scales is the best indicator of dropsy.

In addition to the questions asked by Delapool, what and how much are you feeding?
My guess is unfortunately that it is likely a bacterial issue on some sort. There has been a lot going on, and bettas are not always in the best of health when you first get them anyways.

Back
Top Bottom