HELP! Mbunas with problem breathing in bottom of tank HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainmaker02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank with 14 fishes total. 5 Mbuna and 2 Auratus (the ones with problems) 4 Parrot, 2 Sinodontis and 1 other kind of Cichlid. The tank had some algae on the walls and one of the filters had problems, but I replace the cartridge and clean the walls and put some crystal Clear for cloudy water. At the same time I start it doing a 50% water change when I realise that all the Mbunas and the Auratus became very week and were on the bottom of the tank. They were breathing very fast and with difficulty. They have being like that for more than 30 mins. Please make some suggestions, I am afraid they died. They are all ready 5 inchs big, all of them. The parrots and the other one are perfectly fine.

maybe the crystal clear affected them. probally not though. maybe low oxygen lvls? .

i dont have much exp with finding out these kinds of things but most of the more experienced people would ask the parameters.

ic maybe the oxygen level is low? do you have any plants? err then the fish would be more at the surface.... sry i cant help more

Adding crystal clear probably hurt the fish. I am not sure what is in that product and am surprised such large healthy fish became so ill so quickly. If the fish are still with you--get them out of the tank and into fresh water.
I know things were going so well, Ivan. Please post again and let us know how the fish are doing.

It could be the product you added, but according to the website only about half a teaspoon should be added to your size. How much did you use?

IMO, the problem lies with the 50% water change you did.

Did you use tap water for the 50% water change? If so, did you remember to add dechlorinator?

Was the water much warmer or colder than the tank water?

Any idea what the pH readings were before and after?

Stop adding fish whatever you do, don't worry about the algae the more fish you add the more your ammonia is going to go up. Rapid gills moving mean your fish need oxygen, so I would do a big water change and make shure you have a air pump hooked up, the ammonia present is likely robbing your fish of oxygen. Did you change your filter media when you did a water change, because that would take all the bacteria out of your filter which could raise your ammonia levels, also maybe cut the water changes back (not now) in the future a 50% w.c. can be a little to much try a 25% w.c. once a week.

Thanks for everything. Thank God, everything past, I waw afraid I lost all them. Only one fish (Mbuna) died today. :cry: My ph was 7.4 before water change and is 7.4. The temperature of the water is and was the same as always, even the weter of the w.c.. I have two filters, on friday I only change the cartridges of one of them, so the bacteria can still be there. I supposed it was the Crystal Clear I used, because I use several drops (it said one drop per gallon, I didn't used 55, but a few :oops: ). The ammonia levels was cero (0) before and after the problem. I will consider for now on a 25% w.c. :?

I am glad to hear most of the fish made it. 25% water changes are the max you want to go, unless there is a serious ammonia or nitrite problem. Ivan, have you posted pics of your tank? If not, can you?

Back
Top Bottom