Help me catch this early!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
My male killi Is getting fin rot! His little lyretail is starting to get little rips and tears in it and part of his tail came off. All the meds I have is freshwater salt. Will that do the trick? My betta had fin rot or something similar and it was pretty bad! He used to scratch himself on his sea glass and I treated him with salt and it all went away. Is this the case with crimson the killifish?! I know its not from fighting because I've never seen peaches (the female, they are a mated pair) fight with him. She is very timid and she's too shy to harm him in any way. Can I treat this with salt? Someone help quickly this is getting worse...(noticed it yesterday).

NatureFish
????

I can tell you from experience and a lot of research that fin rot is nearly always caused by poor water conditions. Medicating the tank without fixing the underlying problem won't help. Test your water carefully and do some partial water changes. Avoid stressing them out by making sure the temp of the new water is the same as the old water and adding the new water slowly.

Salt, aloe vera (stress coat), and decreasing the water flow can help. I would also recommend bringing up your temp slightly.

The fin rot you describe sounds pretty advanced, but with some tlc, hopefully he'll pull through. Try to keep everything clean and comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok well I know it not water quality so I'm thinking its the temp as its a coldwater tank and winter is approaching. What temp is good for killies?

NatureFish
????

Sudden changes in water temp can do it. My Betta, Orion, had his heater malfunction and the tank was almost 90 degrees! I took the heater out and within two days his poor fins started fraying and falling off. I medicated him and he's doing much better now.

As for your killies temp, I've read up on it and apparently some can do well from anywhere between 65 to 80 degrees (yikes!). Maybe try around 70 or 75?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you know the scientific name of the killifish? I can look up the temp for you. What is the temp in your tank now? Do they have any tank mates. Do you have plastic plants etc or other decor in the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sudden changes in water temp can do it. My Betta, Orion, had his heater malfunction and the tank was almost 90 degrees! I took the heater out and within two days his poor fins started fraying and falling off. I medicated him and he's doing much better now.

As for your killies temp, I've read up on it and apparently some can do well from anywhere between 65 to 80 degrees (yikes!). Maybe try around 70 or 75?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what the temp is. So maybe it's something else.

NatureFish
????

Do you know the scientific name of the killifish? I can look up the temp for you. What is the temp in your tank now? Do they have any tank mates. Do you have plastic plants etc or other decor in the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a an orange australie lyretail killifish

NatureFish
????

Aphysemion australe like low 70's. Is it a new or an established tank? Its its new you may need to change water daily.

Aphysemion australe like low 70's. Is it a new or an established tank? Its its new you may need to change water daily.

I'd never put any fish in a uncycled tank! I've had it for almost 3 months and so its established

NatureFish
????

No offense meant. Some people do fish in cycles. I do, so I am constantly changing the water with new tanks.

None taken :)
I was going to try the fish in cycle but I was afraid I might stress them out too much...

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom