Help, Mickey Mouse Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there, it does look like your platy is struggling to stay upright when it gets close to the flow of the filter.

How long have you had this fish? Has it always done this or is this behavior new?

Do you have a quarantine tank in order to isolate this fish if treatment is needed?

ive had this fish almost a year and about 2 months this was the first time i noticed it.

he swims, eats and everything fine it just seems like he looses it sometimes its kinda funny.

my QT tank has a pregnate platy about to birth so its a no for the QT

I had to watch that video twice before I noticed what you are talking about. My opinion is that he's going after your female. I noticed there were times when he would headstand and times when he wouldn't. The times when he would (notably around 1:08 ), it really looks as if he's trying to court the female.

If it's not a constant thing I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you want to worry then start looking at swim bladder disease information. This can cause fish to swim funny. I don't think you have anything to worry about though:)

I agree, If you look at the 1:08 time in the video like hacket said he seems to be infront of the female most of the time when he does it. Also he has his fins all spread which is sometimes done to help impress the female to try to get her to breed.

ok great, as you seen pretty big tank pretty few fish i have one pregnate sunburst in the tank right now getting ready for fry

one question, if he mated with that sunburst, would the fry have some of his blue, mickey characteristics?

cool, thanks for helping i think her orange and yellow and red with his blue would be cool

i wonder if the one about to give birth is from him too there only 3 male fish in the tank
1 blue mickey mouse
1 red wag
1 male that was from a previous birth hes black and yellow

it's almost impossible to say since many of those colors and patterns are caused my multiple genes and platies can carry semen from several males...basically, you're probably going to get a grab bag of everyone

It would be kinda cool to have a black platy with oarnge spots on it. But remember you will not see there full colors for about a month maybe a month and a half.

yea i like how mine school togeather

how many you think i can keep

tank is 48x20x12

Plenty. It all depends on how many she has and how many survive. But I am sure you could fit atleast 5 to 6 more.

Back
Top Bottom