Help!!! Moor Goldfish on its side!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cneracker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I recently rescued a black moor goldfish from a neglected tank. when I got him he was lethargic and I decided to not put him in the tank with the other goldfish. He has been in a 2 gallon quarantine tank for a few weeks and has been doing great. From the begging he had fin rot and minor swim bladder. I treated him with water changes everyday and feed him peas. I also added salt to the water. He was doing very well however I noticed this week he has been lethargic again. I did start giving him regular food again and stopped the peas. I noticed today that he is on his side. This is the worse he has been since I got him or ever worse. I don't know what to do can anyone give me advice. I have been treating him with salt and have hand feed him two peas. Any advice would be appreciated.

What are the parameters in this tank and how big is he? In such a small tank you're going to have to be doing very very frequent water changes too.

+1 on your parameters- this will help us to help you better! In addition, exactly how much salt are you adding and for how long? Any other chemicals/meds?

He is small right now. I do pwc everyday and I use prime every time. since I keep doing water changes the ammonia level is 0. I have gave him quick cure and have put around a teaspoon of salt in the quarantine tank every other day. I might be giving him to much salt. I don't know I've tried everything. I feel terrible.

nitrate 0
nitrite 0
hardness: very hard 300
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity between 180 and 300
ph 7.8

Can you get hold of some methylene blue? Put him in a bare bottom QT tank with meth blue. Amazon sells. Meth is an antibiotic and helps the fish breathe. It kills nitrifying bacteria so only in QT tank. Daily water changes with the blue for a week. See if that helps.

Can you get hold of some methylene blue? Put him in a bare bottom QT tank with meth blue. Amazon sells. Meth is an antibiotic and helps the fish breathe. It kills nitrifying bacteria so only in QT tank. Daily water changes with the blue for a week. See if that helps.

Thank you soooooo much!

You're welcome! You will need an airstone, heater, and a sponge filter if you have one. The QT tank should be 10G. The Methylene blue will stain everything, so expect it. Put the QT tank on top of a garbage bag so you don't stain your counter. Don't use near anything that can be stained, such as ceramic sinks.

Methylene blue is not a "drug" so pathogens cannot build a resistance to it. It's my go-to medication when I first set up a QT.

MB is not antibiotic. Its merely antibacterial/antifungal with strong redox properties that can help to increase blood oxygen levels. I would not suggest using it as a tank treatment but as a bath instead because its medicinal properties are very temporary. It is though one of my favorite old school meds that can help goldfish with buoyancy issues when nothing else has worked.

Three concerns here that need to be addressed. First, we do not know the ammonia levels. With zero nitrite/nitrate, I suspect they are high even with daily wcs because the water volume is very small. This needs to be addressed before considering anything as I suspect this is the primary issue behind the health issues. Invest in a proper liquid test kit before even trying other meds. Next, not using the GC correctly and for an appropriate length of time (along with ammonia issues) will likely result in larger health concerns. Lastly, salt use has likely not helped matters. Do not add any more salt with future wcs.

If you would like to try MB, this is fine but you need to start with water concerns before attempting anything else. Please ask if you have questions!

MB is not antibiotic. Its merely antibacterial/antifungal with strong redox properties that can help to increase blood oxygen levels. I would not suggest using it as a tank treatment but as a bath instead because its medicinal properties are very temporary. It is though one of my favorite old school meds that can help goldfish with buoyancy issues when nothing else has worked.

Three concerns here that need to be addressed. First, we do not know the ammonia levels. With zero nitrite/nitrate, I suspect they are high even with daily wcs because the water volume is very small. This needs to be addressed before considering anything as I suspect this is the primary issue behind the health issues. Invest in a proper liquid test kit before even trying other meds. Next, not using the GC correctly and for an appropriate length of time (along with ammonia issues) will likely result in larger health concerns. Lastly, salt use has likely not helped matters. Do not add any more salt with future wcs.

If you would like to try MB, this is fine but you need to start with water concerns before attempting anything else. Please ask if you have questions!

Good points, JLK.

Hi everyone thank you for your advice. But I wanted to let everyone know that my black moor past away yesterday. It was a really rough day for me. Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom