Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help! My betta

Hello, I am a new betta owner. I have no experience with fish and I would like some help. Today I noticed a white mark near my betta's tail. And since last week he has been a picky eater. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with him please??Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8080.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	305106

Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lily
It's likely your Betta tank has not cycled, causing stress to your fish. Research: Fish in tank cycling.
Change 20% of your tank water every day for the next 3 weeks. Wait a few days, then start feeding the Betta again, but very small amounts of food. Use a quality water conditioners like "Sea Chem - Prime" to dechlorinate your new tank water. The white mark on the body of your Betta looks to be ammonia burn. Once you review the cycling process you will understand the relationship between, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
Don't panic, just complete the water changes and don't over feed, the Nitrogen cycle will likely
take care of itself and with a little luck your Betta will be Okay.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com