Help! My danio got stuck in the filter!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I was cleaning the tank today and took the filter parts out to wash them in the aquarium water.

After doing so and putting back into the tank and carrying on adding my rocks etc back into the cleaned tank, I noticed something flickering inside the filter tube.....I thought it was our bottom feeder giving me a helping hand until I looked closer and saw one of our beautiful danios actually stuck inside the bottom part of the filter tube. (we have an aqua szut tank)

No idea how he managed that as I had not removed the bottom part of the filter tube whilst cleaning.

I took the bottom off and released him back into the tank but I've just had a look at him and he's covered in red blotches and has a little bit of a tear above one of his eyes. (I've attached a video which probably isn't very clear but tried my best!) He also seems disorientated, (not surprised after what he's been through!).....but do I need to do anything to help him heal or do you think he won't make it? Please advise so I'm prepared for the worst! Thanks! XX

Hopefully doing ok? I've had this and the fish has lost scales while looking in a bit of a sorry state. Most of the time the fish bounces back. I would suggest extra water changes if needed to keep water fresh, making sure the tank is stress free (otherwise put in a holding net where it can't be bothered) and you could try something like API stress coat if you have it (some people find this useful, some don't).

Thanks Delapool!

I think he might be ok. He looks very red on his back where he's obviously rubbed the scales off his back whilst trying to free himself. He was very lethargic and all over the place this morning but I've just put some peas in for a Sunday night treat and he's nibbling away and seems to be moving more freely!

I have applied some stress coat again this morning and will do a water change possibly Wednesday and fingers crossed he'll be ok.

Thanks ever so much for your comment!

Back
Top Bottom