Help....my fish are dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvanv

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found two dead Dwarf Sunset Platies in my tank this AM who seemed to be healthy yesterday AM. I had a total of four in the tank for over a year. I moved the tank about 10 days ago and all was well and I was watching all the stats since then.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 which is normal for my tanks
PH 8 which is normal for my tanks

5.5 Gal tank with java moss and plastic plants.
No other fish are in this tank.

It is so hard to see on those tiny little bodies but it seems to be a white film on the back half on the largest. What should I do?

I don't want to lose them. :(

Its odd that this tank has been up for a year, you have been able to keep fish in it, but you have no nitrates. What test kit are you using to test the nitrates?

A white film could possibly be a fungal infection. Do you have any pics at all?

No pics but I think it looks like Velvet now that I have been checking. Although a fungal infection is also a thought.
No I don't have any pics.....no digital camera but I keep wishing.
My 20 gallon also has the same stats with no nitrates and has been up 3 months.

API and I checked with them to see if it could be outdated and they told me that the code I had was good until 2009.

Yes, when I was cycling the tank last year it went to 20ppm for about a month then went to 0 and has been that ever since. It has only had the four fish and at one point a catfish for a bit.

Your tank is small enough that the java moss could be eating up the nitrates depending on how much java moss is in the tank.

How often are you doing water changes? Are you adding dechlorinator when doing water changes? Any different foods, anything new to the tank? Do you use a heater in the tank?

I have two tennis ball size bunches of java moss. I do 20% water change weekly. I am using the same dechlorinator when doing water changes. Nothing new as far as food and I use a heater and the temp stays at 78. I am at a loss.

It may just be an unexplained death. Sometimes we never know what happens to our fish. If there are no external signs of fungus or abnormal behaviour, it may be impossible to determine what caused the deaths. So sorry for your losses.

It's disheartening not knowing the cause. Knowing the cause allows you to address the issue. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom