Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's fine after washing with bleach water rinse with clean tap water and leave to dry your be fine. I see poor friend your now having trouble with your other tank not the Angels anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes it seems to be one thing after another, but good thing I am learning a lot. I still think it was the angels I got from that store, and I didn't realize I should only add about 2-3 at a time. The angels from there were purchased during 3 visits, 2 long veil, then 1 and 1 in 2 trips over 2 days. I would've thought that was ok, the long veils held on the longest a few weeks. I did replace them, got 5 at same time, lost 2.. Lesson learned add S L O W L Y.
Thank you for the reply on the bleach, I thought I read that and that key was to be sure supplies were dry before using. So in your opinion do you think I should break this tank down and start over? Move the few I have in a bucket with an air stone? I honestly feel keeping them in there they will all die, the fry seem to be handling this the best. That's does surprise me.

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could put what's left in another tank and quarantine what's left for another week or 2 depending if it's a already established tank that's been up and running if so do it and I would say do a 25% water change every 2 days for first week of having them quarantined depending on size of tank also add a bit of stress ease to water when changing it help with stress and loss of slim coat and help with new waters chlorine cutting that down when adding stress easy. If they have white fuzzy patches add a bit of super ick will help kill parasite that ick is. But you will also have to raise temp slowly helps kill ick from reproducing. Then take down original infected tank clean all sand and decorations and let to dry then restart it up and have it cycle theirs different Chem that added to new water that will help new bacteria good bacteria grow which established tanks have I once done usually give it a week once done and then add fish but make sure fish are fine no symptoms of ick before adding

Old 09-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We are rooting for you! Glad to hear the bleaching supplies was the way to go. It is clear you really care about your fish and we have ALL learned the hard way.

Out of curiosity, is buying a new glass/acrylic part of the set-up a possibility? That was what I did when I had to start over after columnarus with my one survivor. I think I told you about that. I had to choose between keeping him in the same glass and water that I could never get right which also may have had bad stuff still in it or put him in a new tank that was not cycled (transferred the heater and filter) with some quick start and hold my breath. I chose the new un cycled water tank and he thrived.

But that was just me. I would say maybe you could do the bucket thing and clean the existing tank, pour in new water, add quick start, and try that. But, I don't know how long the cleaning process takes and it seems like you have to let everything dry completely. That was the beauty of using a new glass part - which I was fortunate enought to get brand new for 20$ US.

I'm just telling you my story, but am for sure not advising you to do the same. Your gut instinct will kick in soon. You are getting a lot of information from people and I hope you aren't getting overwhelmed.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

No need to buy a new tank and items just clean them really good and allow to dry if using a bleach water solution while your treating quarantined fish that's what I did when I had a problem like you had many years ago

Old 09-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aces and Novicesfter- thank you both so much!!! I just checked and most of my fish are acting normal like they should be. I have a few who are still just hanging out but most are swimming normally. I will continue to medicate, will do a very gentle PWC today and hope things don't turn for the worse again. I don't plan on adding anything to this tank for a while. I want to give my remaining fish room to thrive and grow. I realize now how overstocked I was. Maybe this was natures way of getting me to slow down.
You ask if getting a QT tank is practical for me, with my size apt, my budget, and I also have the 29 gal, it's not feesable. My option would be to use the 20 gal as qt. Who knows, if my angels do well and make a pair I would consider turning the 20 into a more decorative heavier planted and could use that. Assuming I reach that point and choose to do that. I'm still new and find livebearers and their fry amazingly beautiful. I know LAME. For now I'll see how the little ones I have left do, and try and figure out how to control these dang snails! Never bought a snail but I have a few in each tank. Grrrrr

Amy
Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not a problem might just finally be balancing it's self out. Snails probably were hitch hackers from plants take a old glass jar with a metal lid make holes in top so snails can go in place some like alage wafer or a few shrimp pellets in and let bottle fill with tank water place on bottom of tank on side and over time snails will go in the jar for food and as they go in remove them

Old 09-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411920999.357740.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	251185
Looks like this when done it works on getting some

Old 09-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey that's a great idea. What do you do with the snails once you remove the jar, or more bluntly how do you kill them? I did take 3 out of my 29 gal last night. It's my understanding they multiply like crazy- which is why I never bought them. 1 hitchhiker was ok but geesh. I have a glass jar I was going to toss in recycles, now I'll use it as a snail snagger.
Just finished PWC in the 20 gal sick tank. Some look better some not looking to good. 1 oto has almost completely lost his black stripe. 😞 I'm confidant it's going to work out for the best.

Amy
Old 09-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

I actually crush them and feed to my larger breeding Angels but you could just toss in trash or toss in yards and let birds eat them just watch if they get really out of hand it's cause of to much extra food

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com