Help, my fish are shaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 20 gal long tank, has had some issues: heater broke and replaced it then the water got to hot at the same time my filter quit. Since this all the fish have been acting odd, first they were dashing all over, then when the water was at normal temp it was ok for a day, now all the fish are shaking like they are shivering cold. I don't know what to do. Waters not hard, no ammonia, nitrates & nitrites are good. I am wondering what I'm doing wrong. I feel horrible for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My 20 gal long tank, has had some issues: heater broke and replaced it then the water got to hot at the same time my filter quit. Since this all the fish have been acting odd, first they were dashing all over, then when the water was at normal temp it was ok for a day, now all the fish are shaking like they are shivering cold. I don't know what to do. Waters not hard, no ammonia, nitrates & nitrites are good. I am wondering what I'm doing wrong. I feel horrible for them.

They could be stressed. Did you replace the filter? That is necessary. Maybe a water change that can be heated with the new heater. Keeping the lights out can also help stressed fish.

Yes I got a new filter the next day a whisper ex30, I think I have the heat at a good temp 78. I'm concerned about water change, I also have fry. I just turned their light off. Should I keep low light for a few days?

They are stressed no doubt, they cant shiver when theyre cold, only mammals do that. they just need theyre usual temps back.

Sorry I was using shivering cold as a way to describe the shaking.

You said you bought a new filter. Did you keep some of the old media to put in it so you don't go into another cycle?

Also, when you said "nitrates and nitrites are good," what are the actual values?

Yes I made sure I wouldn't have to cycle again. The nitrate and nitrite were at 0

Yes I got a new filter the next day a whisper ex30, I think I have the heat at a good temp 78. I'm concerned about water change, I also have fry. I just turned their light off. Should I keep low light for a few days?

You don't need to vacuum if that is what you are worried about sucking one of them up. When I've had to do a pwc, I dip a never been cleaned with soap only for aquarium water changes bucket and take out the old water. Since I have fry, I shine a flashlight into the bucket with the removed water to make sure no little guys are in there.

If you are worried about stressing them out, I can't give you any useful info only that my fry have endured a lot.

Oh yeah - make sure their slime coats are intact. Stress coat or stress-zyme should be added to your tank or other product that you may have that protects the slime coat.

As for keeping the lights out, use your judgment. I don't think there is an exact rule about it - though I turn mine on during feeding when I need to keep them off for stress situations.

Thank you. I do have a bucket full of aquarium only items. I have a nice container i could use for the PWC, its odd because the fry are the ones who seem to be handling this the best. The other fish i see changes, and I have not had any luck w/ any fish i have chosen. i was considering starting a thread about what fish people feel are the hardiest and which are the most difficult to keep. i will do a decent size water change tomorrow.. hopefully that helps.

Yes I made sure I wouldn't have to cycle again. The nitrate and nitrite were at 0

NitrAte should not be 0 if you ate cycled..

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

NitrAte should not be 0 if you ate cycled..

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is correct. What type of test kit are you using and when did you test?

It was 2 days ago at 2 different fish stores tested both my aquariums. They used the liquid test and I watched as this was done.

UPDATE: tested water again all levels are the same, nitrAte is 20, correct my previous error. I picked up melafix and am now treating the 20 gal for a fungus. I noticed one of my Cory's was swimming not on the bottom, only to see what looked like white mold near one of his fins. Lfs said it's not ich, I don't see white spots on any fish or even the Cory. Question, should I treat my other tank?

UPDATE: tested water again all levels are the same, nitrAte is 20, correct my previous error. I picked up melafix and am now treating the 20 gal for a fungus. I noticed one of my Cory's was swimming not on the bottom, only to see what looked like white mold near one of his fins. Lfs said it's not ich, I don't see white spots on any fish or even the Cory. Question, should I treat my other tank?

I am confused. I know you said the heater and filter broke and then the fish were stressed. You got the temp corrected and replaced the filter. I don't remember if you used anything with beneficial bacteria. You were worried about changing the water because you have fry. You have lots of fish equipment like buckets that have never been soaped. The N3 was 0 you thought but it was actually 20. You turned out the lights to help with the stress.

This much I followed. Was there mention of a second tank? I don't remember reading it, is it possible you posted it on a different thread? If not, please describe the other tank - size, residents, cycling length, water readings etc. otherwise, I am a bit lost.:confused:

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mention the other tank because all is going smooth on that side. It's a 29 gal with angels, and Cory's. My concern with the other tank is I use the same syphon and nets. Although I always clean the 29 gal 1st. I'm not sure if I need to worry about this whatever it is, in the larger tank. I only use the net for cleaning up extra food, but did lose a couple fish since this has been happening. Sorry if I over explain or made it confusing.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mention the other tank because all is going smooth on that side. It's a 29 gal with angels, and Cory's. My concern with the other tank is I use the same syphon and nets. Although I always clean the 29 gal 1st. I'm not sure if I need to worry about this whatever it is, in the larger tank. I only use the net for cleaning up extra food, but did lose a couple fish since this has been happening. Sorry if I over explain or made it confusing.

The only thing that I can think of is soaking the nets in boiling water until you can get another one and have one for each. I am not sure about the siphon. I've read you can run warm water through it. I will be facing that issue soon as I just added fish today to my newly cycled 14 gallon, so I will be interested in other feedback.

For my 5.5 gallon that has fry in it, I use a turkey baster and clean it with hot water.

To be honest, I've never cleaned my siphon tubing. I should probably do that. Maybe the most important thing to clean is the siphon itself?

I'm sorry I can't be of more help on this.

Noviceafter2yea, I sure hope I didn't screw up but I soaked everything fish in light bleach, with hottest tap water and let it soak for an hour or so. I included the siphon and had water soak through all of the tubing. I don't want to take any chances with my bigger.

Noviceafter2yea, I sure hope I didn't screw up but I soaked everything fish in light bleach, with hottest tap water and let it soak for an hour or so. I included the siphon and had water soak through all of the tubing. I don't want to take any chances with my bigger.

I honestly don't know anything about bleach - I mean not even a little bit. Where did you put everyone?

I should have been more clear. I bleached all my aquarium supplies, such as, the nets, siphon and tube, my scrubber, buckets.

Back
Top Bottom