Help my fish is drowning! Goldfish bottom sitting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnipeUout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 goldfish (3-4 years old) in a 30 gallon tank with a Fluval Aguaclear 50. One of my oldest fish (not a fancy) has been lethargic and bottom sitting for about a month. All day he hides in the corner and just sits on the bottom. Often he springs up when he hears the auto feeder or if we approach the side of the tank he is hiding. During the night he often comes out and sleeps floating in the middle portion of the tank. The other two fish (bigger bodied short tail) are very active and never sit on the bottom. Now this fish has always been the calmer of the three and never bottom sat in the past, however back in 2012 when they were in a 10 gallon with bad water and he bottom sat. Physically he looks ok with no visible abnormalities (only concern is big bubbles over eyes with haze, however they have been there for a long time). Water changes seem to have little to no effect. I started to add aquarium salt (.5 tsps per gal) which seemed to help slightly but I’m not sure. I do weekly ¼ tank changed and once a month do a ½ change. I always add beneficial bacterial to help he bio filter, and change filters monthly.

I really want to help him and I fear for his health. Part of me thinks my largest fish may be a bully and he is just hiding. I’m not sure what to do.

Last Test before change:
Ammonia .125
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 7.6ish
Temp: 76 Average

Hi, and welcome to the community.

I am glad you came here to check on what might be done to help your fish.

So first off they need a much larger tank. If that fish the one that is just sitting on the bottom is a comet he can get to around 18 inches long and the growth rate for fish of that age means the fish should be around 10 inches long.

Once a fish that is normally supposed to grow large is in a tank which is too small, they will get stunted. This means that the bones aren't growing to the size they should and the internal organs are trying to grow larger but really can't as the fish isn't large enough for them to grow larger. This means that the fish although looks alright, really isn't and his lifespan will be greatly reduced.

This kind of fish would need at least a 6 foot long tank and maybe 3' from front to the back, but ideally would be in a pond. Obviously they can grow to larger and larger tanks as they get older.

Goldfish are big tank polluters. That tank is not a good size for goldfish.

The next thing is the filtration should be 10x turnover for the gallons of the tank - and as you have a too small tank, and filter. A 50 filter would be for a 20-50G tank, depending on brand some are better than others. For a light to average bioload.

Consider adding an extra air pump bubbler to get more O2 in the water.

Changing the filter pad will remove the beneficial bacteria which is required to process the ammonia in the nitrification cycle.

Here is a link about GF sizes...you will need to upgrade asap!!! The fish in the pics isn't even a Comet.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

So is my fish dying slowly? I'm no fish phycologist but it looks sad and it makes me feel sad. I want to help buy upgrading to a 55-60 gallon tank is huge. Not only financially but the room required for it.

Anything else I should be thinking about here? Am I missing anything?

Maybesomeone else would have more ideas but that is possibly the case that it is dying. You are able to do something for it now, add extra air bubbler ~$5. at a discount store and do more pwc and look for a tank - free in the posted ads. If someone is moving or maybe has it in the garage. Ask if it doesn't sell you would offer whatever you can afford.

Petco is still having the $1 per gallon sale, not all stores have 55G but most will have a 40G breeder. That tank is 36" wide, and also the 55G is 4' wide. You can always make a screen top or a plexiglass /acrylic top from the hardware store.

You can usually find a used filter, just make sure it works with media in it if you decide to do that. Look for a Goldfish aquarium or state or regional aquarium society club to join and make connections and learn and observe first hand from others in person.

I have a very large bubble bar and a pump that's for a 50 gallon.

All this fish does it lay all day. He only comes up to eat. What sickness could this be? Could a fish be depressed or sad???

Attachments

• Poor Prince.jpg
    Poor Prince.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 106
I find it odd that in an established tank that you are getting 0 nitrates. What are you doing in terms of maintenance to the filter? I also have a AquaClear 50 on the 20g (I was running two AC 50s at one time). I don't use the carbon pouch. Every few weeks I swish the biomedia in tank water removed from a water change. When I was using the sponge I would squeeze it in used tank water as well (I am using PolyFil polyester fluff now).
You should not have to add bottled beneficial bacteria with each water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I find it odd that in an established tank that you are getting 0 nitrates. What are you doing in terms of maintenance to the filter? I also have a AquaClear 50 on the 20g (I was running two AC 50s at one time). I don't use the carbon pouch. Every few weeks I swish the biomedia in tank water removed from a water change. When I was using the sponge I would squeeze it in used tank water as well (I am using PolyFil polyester fluff now).
You should not have to add bottled beneficial bacteria with each water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I change the charcoal once a months, I change the filter ever other week. I never change the bio media thou.

Woke up today to find my fish keeled over against a tank prop. I though he was dead so I was removing him and he moved and is still alive. So I moved him to a 5 gallon cooler with a bubbler so he could be alone. Anything I could add to boost his chances of pulling thou?

Was thinking chlorophyll?

Does your fish have any red or purple bruise looking spots or red streaks in the fins?

As mentioned it could be stunted due to the small tank and the internal organs are not working as well as they should.

Are you using a liquid test kit to measure the parameters?

What are the tank parameters? In the main tank and in the QT/alone time tank? He probably needs 75-100% water change each day.

How is his poop?

Also as mentioned the lfs stick test strips can be inaccurate.

Does your fish have any red or purple bruise looking spots or red streaks in the fins?

As mentioned it could be stunted due to the small tank and the internal organs are not working as well as they should.

Are you using a liquid test kit to measure the parameters?

What are the tank parameters? In the main tank and in the QT/alone time tank? He probably needs 75-100% water change each day.

How is his poop?

Also as mentioned the lfs stick test strips can be inaccurate.

Using an API kit, I found out tonight that the tap water I was changing his isolation tank has .5 ammonia. So changed 2/5 using some bottled water I had, which brought the level in the tank down to .25ish. In the morning I'll have a chance to cut the ammonia in half again and get it near zero.

He will come up slowly and exhaustedly to eat, but he eats. The poop looks normal. Tomorrow I'll feed him frozen peas again.

Using an API kit, I found out tonight that the tap water I was changing his isolation tank has .5 ammonia. So changed 2/5 using some bottled water I had, which brought the level in the tank down to .25ish. In the morning I'll have a chance to cut the ammonia in half again and get it near zero.

He will come up slowly and exhaustedly to eat, but he eats. The poop looks normal. Tomorrow I'll feed him frozen peas again.

Fingers crossed that's the issue and you've got a recovering fish, good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You can always get RO/DI water, around .50 per gallon at fish stores which are big into Saltwater.

Hopefully some of the info will help this guy and the future creatures. Learning better ways to do things for the fish is always a good thing.

It is a hard thing to see them sick when you care about them so much.

Please be looking for a much bigger free or reasonably priced tank.

One issue with stunted fish is the trouble they have internally. We can't see what the problems are, and fixing them when they become ill can get harder and harder to do because they aren't quite right inside. For my whole life and I'm not a spring chicken...I was told that fish just grow to the size of their tank, and still hear people telling that info at lfs and forums.

I am hoping for the best life for your ill fish and the rest of his friends as well.

If the water quality issues don't help enough he might need some antibiotics too.

Quick update.

He is now swimming around alittle more in his isolation tank and he is also eating a health amount too. Normal he is bullied at feeding time and he can finally get some good food. He still need healing time. The bottle water is helping to drastically drop the ammonia levels which is great.

I feel he is far from reintegration, especially in the 29 gallon tank. I'm considering a 37-45 gallon tank upgrade. It's smaller then I want but will fit in my spaces. I really want a wide tanks so the fish can swim more.

You can always get RO/DI water, around .50 per gallon at fish stores which are big into Saltwater.

Hopefully some of the info will help this guy and the future creatures. Learning better ways to do things for the fish is always a good thing.

It is a hard thing to see them sick when you care about them so much.

Please be looking for a much bigger free or reasonably priced tank.

One issue with stunted fish is the trouble they have internally. We can't see what the problems are, and fixing them when they become ill can get harder and harder to do because they aren't quite right inside. For my whole life and I'm not a spring chicken...I was told that fish just grow to the size of their tank, and still hear people telling that info at lfs and forums.

I am hoping for the best life for your ill fish and the rest of his friends as well.

If the water quality issues don't help enough he might need some antibiotics too.

Antibiotics? Really...

Antibiotics? Really...

Really, but not due to the ammonia specifically in the water, (maybe that sounded odd/poorly worded). I mean if he isn't getting better after getting the water quality consistently good, he might need some medicine.

The 40G breeder tank can still be found at the $1. per gallon sale for a few more days if the stores still have some in stock - you might have to call around. That size tank gives the most swimming space for the gallons and is highly recommended. And only 36 inches wide. So can fit in better but still be pretty big.

Glad he has a good appetite and happy tank hunting.

Should I think about some medication?

Edit: After doing more research I feel my fish may be exhibiting symptoms of Hemorrhagic Septicemia .

-Sluggishness
-Losing weight
-Red splotches on head

Ordering Mardel Maracyn 2, should have it in his isolation take by tomorrow. Might get some antibiotic food as well.

Amazon boned my order twice for the Mardel Maracyn 2. I'm tired of waiting and went out and bought API TC Tetracycline. If my fish has Hemorrhagic Septicemia or some other internal infection this should knock it out.

If not, I'm not sure what will help him recover.

-He's still eating, but he is so weak.

Back
Top Bottom